Need The Skinny on Weatherby Accumark

Only one I've ever owned was a 257 accumark and I bought that rifle back in 2007, I sold it 5 years ago. Retumbo would push 115 Bergers @ 3450 into one hole accuracy @ 100y. Was my coyote and antelope rifle. Very acc2and easy to load for. The newer stuff since they've moved to Wyoming I'm not sure on, but I doubt their quality has gone down, you can actually pay an extra 250$ to have the action blueprinted prior to buying but there's a wait time in top of it.

I've seen some Accumark rifles that have shot awesome. The most accurate ones were bedded and had the trigger swapped out. The new ones come with a triggertech, I'm not sure if they come bedded from the factory or not. If you think it needs a bedding job, use Devcon or Marine Tex and the rifle should be good to go. I believe in the past they were using criterion barrels, not sure if that's still the case. Bottom line, I would expect an Accumark to be as, or more, accurate than it's competition.

I own 6 accumarks and like them a great deal. They're 7mm08, .308win, 270 win, 30-06, 257 wby and 300 win mag. All were fairly easy to develop loads for. The 270 win can be a bit heavy for carrying but shoots in the .3 to .5 with my reloads and 130's or 150's loves the 150 NPT and H4831SC and will pretty much shoot em touching all day.

The new models come with the recoil lug bedded and this can be beneficial in older models as well. Make sure you keep the stock screws tight 55 psi. I only replaced the trigger on one and don't find it that necessary. The older ones did have criterion barrels when they first split off from Krieger but the barrels are made by weatherby now.

Anything less than 1,000.00 is a pretty good deal and 1500.00 is probably the most I will pay depending on caliber. 338 Lapua and anything with a break probably a little more. The new 6.5 Creedmoor would be a heavy firearm but probably shoot like a champ.

The mark v action is quite special but a little heavy. If you have the means I would purchase with confidence. They can be addictive as I don't own 6 of anything else.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

I would like to thank everyone that has helped me out on this thread. I do have another question. Is there anyway to tell the difference in versions when it comes to used rifles? For instance barrel maker, bedded or not and location manufactured? Since I have seen there are differences depending on when they were manufactured. Is any date of manufacture better than others and how does one tell them apart?

Thanks again Dave

Dave a call to Weatherby is probably in order they may be able to tell by serial number IME only the rifles manufactured in the last 10 years have a small amount of bedding in the lug recess. I'm thinking that they were outsourcing Accumark barrels to Criterion in the 2000 to 2007 timeframe but that's just a guess. The first Accumarks were manufactured in 1996 with 9 lugs and a little later with 6 lugs.

Here's a little history compliments of Field and Stream.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.