Need spotting scope help

chowder

I'm working on my form and trying to get some consistency in my 300-400 yard shooting (22-250). I need a spotting scope that will enable me to view my holes in this range and hopefully a bit farther. I'm not in a position to blow a pile of money at this point on a spotter. I've read a lot of reviews but most (and probably w/ good reason) tend to focus on the upper end units. I've read some good reviews on a relatively economical unit that is in my price range & wondering if anybody has had any experience with the Zhumell 22-68x90? Zhumell 22-68x90mm Superior Spotting Scope with Tripod Package - Spotting Scopes at Spotting Scopes

Spotting 22cal holes in paper at 300 to 400 yards is tough even with quality optics. I would suggest you look at changing your target. Use the 'splat' paper targets that are black and when a bullet passes threw, it leaves a neon green ring. This will work at 300, but 400 is going to be tough (been there, done that)

The best alternative in terms of targets is to get a steel target (AR500). You can spot hits on them from 1000yards easy.

Thanks, I forgot to say I'm using the 'splatter back' targets. I realize that I would not be able to see 22 holes on black w/ an economy spotter. I'll have to check out the steel targets.

You can get the 25-75 compact Burris for around $250 It's a great little scope for hunting and the res is pretty good as well for that price point

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.