Need somr info on seating depth of Barnse tsx bullets.

Wild Bill G

So I have been working for a while now to find an accurate load in my Win FW 6.5x55. Want to use barnes LRX bullet or 120 TSX BT. How do most of you seat your Barnes bullets touching or back from the lands. I have heard for best accuracy they should be .010 off the lands. Any help will be great thanks in advance.

The standard answer most give is to start at .050" off the lands and work back from there because Barnes like a bit more jump than most conventional bullets.

I haven't found that to be true though. The two rifles I shoot them in use a .010" jump.

Fwiw, I am shooting .358 cal ttsx. Best accuracy is between .045" and .060".
I seat to .050" off.

I tested from .005" jam to .080" jump and found .050" shoots the best in my barrel.

Start at 50 off and work from there. I've loaded Barnes for years and found bettwen 50 to 20 off to be the best for all the rifles I load for.

Thanks guys it sounds easy but up here these bullets cost a buck a piece up here. At that price between fiding a powder and bullet seating depth it will break a guy. Powder up her is almost 50 bucks a pound. The only coponent that is cheap is primers.
good to get the advice of you guys. I am planning on starting at .020 off the lands and see hoow that works. Unless some one gives me a better plan.

Yep, best price down here for my .358 ttsx is 85 cents a piece.

Not a lot of target practice with these. Site in, work up a load and practice 20 to 30 rounds a year.

Start 50 off the lands and you will save yourself time and money. Barnes provides that information with the bullets and I have found that this will work. I have loaded Barnes TTSX and TSX bullets in many different rifles and calibers from .243, 260 Rem., 270 Win, 270 WSM, 7mm Rem. Mag., 30-06,300WSM etc.

My experience was the opposite of some here. One of my rifle came in at .180" and the other at .120" from the lands. In fractions that is about 3/16" and 1/8". The one at .180 holds 109 grains of water to the top of the neck and the other holds 82 grains.

morning, barnes bullets do like to b pushed hard.
depending on twist of barrel and the bullet weight
dedicates the length of headspacing. barnes has a
medium length seating chart, showing seating bullets
depending on the weight. I had a swede, liked 140gr. bullets.
powders 4064, 4320, 4831 RL15, W760.
suggestion. what does ur loading manual say
about loaded length 120gr. bullet? Next use the search mode
on this site to check what other members use.
if none check barnes bullets forum for info.
next go to the internet to find loading info.
reloading is a expensive hobby. last time I
checked I had 24 different powders. 3 kinds of magnum primers
2 kinds of larger rifle primers and 2 kinds of small rifle primers.
25 sets of loading dies. maybe more.
good luck GBOT Tum

I haven't shot the TSX's for awhile , but I think I was jumping .070 . I'd start at .050 and move away from there . I also was pushing them fast . it seemed to shoot better the faster I pushed them .

Shortmagman where with their bullets is the info you speak of. My LRX are a farely new bullet and I found no such info. I have been loadind Barnes bullets for over 10 years and never seen that info with them. I checked my manual and nothing in there on seating depth either.
I sure never would have guessed going further from lands second nature tells us to move closer. It makes sense now though as my 2 most accurate rifles with Barnes bullets are both chambered for Weatherby cartridges.
All I know is I hope I can find something that works with this Winchester rifle. My old 96 mauser was more accurate then this thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts