determinig Barnes TSX seating depth.

dewiseman

Hey guy's, im just getting started in reloading and want to figure out the optimal seating depth for some 6.5 Barnes TSX. Barnes recommends .030 to .070. Anybody have experience with these bullets? Should I start at .030 and work in by .005 or by .010? any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks for the info guys, I started loading at .040 and wasn't satisfied so I am seating to your recommendations and hope to test some later in the early evening if the wind calms down.

Something you may wish to try is when determining a seating depth, do your testing at distances greater than 100 yards- preferably 200 or 300. The reason I say this is because of that theory we've all heard of about bullets settling-down during flight, or going to sleep.

Something I found is that these bullets in particular (no matter the seating depth) will all shoot about 1moa at 100 yards. However at 200yards I was looking at a 1" group or 1/2 moa. At 300 yards I really was able to see the difference that seating depth played in repeatable 1/2 moa shot placement.

Took me 2 and a half boxes of 168 gr tsx's through my .308 savage to finally figure it out. Glad I found a load, because I can't afford more load testing with those.

Keep us posted!

EH

I have them loaded in 6 different rifles right now. .223, 22-250, two different .280 rem, 6.5x.284, and 25-06. All seem to group less than 1 MOA on ANY day. I will say this EVERY load I have found has been at the top of the charts when it comes to hot. I have found nice flattened primers = good results with both TSX and TTSX varieties. My 22-250 is slinging those 45 grainers at 3957 and with no fliers seated almost touching. My .280 encore is the same way (not 3957 though)

Thanks for the help guy's. I loaded some rounds at 49.5 grs of VhitAvouri N165, and seated bullets at .045 , .050 , .055 , and .060. It was kind of a tough mourning at the range, very full and the two benches to my left were shooting muzzelloaders and the bench to my right was a group of guys shooting an AR15 so occassionally brass would bounce off the screen and land on my bench ( official excuse for any and all fliers ). At .050 the group shrank down to under one inch at one hundred yards, at .055 the group became one hole. Gotta love that. Thanks again guy's, you saved me alot of powder and frustration. The guy's at my favorite local store kept telling me they couldn't get Barnes bullets to group, so I will take in the target ( not bragging rights rights mind you, simply a visual aid to authenticate the information I am providing, )and pass the info on to them. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.