Need some opinions

James Kiser

I'm about to buy another long range rifle in the next month or two in 300wm. What rifle should I go with between these two options: Remington 700 sendero sfII or the Remington 700 long range. If I were to get the LR version I would be more enthusiastic about putting higher end rails and rings on it. If I were to get the sendero then I would put the best rings and rail that I could afford on it. I reload and have all the equipment for the 300. What do y'all think? I'm open to hearing other options, just provide a little information as to why you suggest that option.
Thanks
JK

Remember you asked...... Get the cheap one so you don't feel so bad when you have to grow F-ing tomatos withe the factory tube.

Oh yeah, I forgot they are mil spec......
Rejects that is.

No, they're not. The original concept of the 5R Milspec civilian rifles started out that way, but that was only for a couple years, then the popularity and demand went through the roof, and Remington started producing the rifles with first-pick barrels, and the demand for the 5R rifles got even higher, and now Remington is using 5R rifling for a LOT of their newer model rifles.

They finally took our (the customers) advice and started instituting the 5R rifling into more options, models, and calibers and twists. And their popularity is fixing to start rising again, with the more rifles they start using 5R rifled barrels on. Just watch.

No, they're not. The original concept of the 5R Milspec civilian rifles started out that way, but that was only for a couple years, then the popularity and demand went through the roof, and Remington started producing the rifles with first-pick barrels, and the demand for the 5R rifles got even higher, and now Remington is using 5R rifling for a LOT of their newer model rifles.

They finally took our (the customers) advice and started instituting the 5R rifling into more options, models, and calibers and twists. And their popularity is fixing to start rising again, with the more rifles they start using 5R rifled barrels on. Just watch.

Would you go with a 5r over a sendero?

Would you go with a 5r over a sendero?

Yes. They are literally the same exact rifle. Just one has no fluting and 5R rifling, and the other is fluted and has the Rem standard 6-groove rifling. And one has a gray & black HS Precision stock, and the other has a green & black HS Precision stock. :cool:

I have a bunch of Senderos, and they all shoot. I also have two 5R's, and they also shoot lights-out, and are very easy to clean, and very easy to load for and not picky at all. I would love it Remington was the first to the game to introduce 5R rifling to all their factory rifles, and with modern twist rates. That would really help to bring their name out of the mud, and start heading them in the right direction again.

No matter which rifle you go with, the new X-Mark Pro triggers suck, so you will want to swap that out with a TriggerTech, Timney, Shillen, or Jewell aftermarket trigger as soon as you get it. And also immediately retorque the action screw to 65 inch-pounds before shooting. I have found these 2 things to be big helps immediately out of the box.

Yes. They are literally the same exact rifle. Just one has no fluting and 5R rifling, and the other is fluted and has the Rem standard 6-groove rifling. And one has a gray & black HS Precision stock, and the other has a green & black HS Precision stock. :cool:

I have a bunch of Senderos, and they all shoot. I also have two 5R's, and they also shoot lights-out, and are very easy to clean, and very easy to load for and not picky at all. I would love it Remington was the first to the game to introduce 5R rifling to all their factory rifles, and with modern twist rates. That would really help to bring their name out of the mud, and start heading them in the right direction again.

No matter which rifle you go with, the new X-Mark Pro triggers suck, so you will want to swap that out with a TriggerTech, Timney, Shillen, or Jewell aftermarket trigger as soon as you get it. And also immediately retorque the action screw to 65 inch-pounds before shooting. I have found these 2 things to be big helps immediately out of the box.

Awesome! Thanks for that info. I do know that the x mark trigger sucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.