need some load advice for 243 85 gr sierra gk's

H4350 at 44grains is very temperature stable with the 85 grain bullets. Should run at least 3,250 fps.

4350 seems to be unanimous but the mixed reviews on 4831 have me kind of intrigued

4350 seems to be unanimous but the mixed reviews on 4831 have me kind of intrigued

Nosler load manual list IMR4831 as most accurate tested with 85/90 bullets. I used it with excellent results with both the Barnes 85 TSX and Nosler 90 AB. Best load for me was at 44.5 grains and shot extremely accurate in more than one gun.

The only 2 reasons I made the switch to H4350 is that I shoot some 70gr bullets as well and the H4350 was more temperature stable than the IMR4831, but just marginally.

You can't go wrong with IMR4831 either at 85 grain and up bullets. Work your way up, I have found that if Nosler list as max it IS!

243 Winchester Load Data

I have that same manual and was leaning towards the 4831 until more than one person (besides forum members) told me it was too slow. I will probably never load lighter than 80gr in 243. After I rebarrel to 1 in 8 twist I'll probably go 105 anyway.

I am looking forward to testing IMR 4831 with an 87 V-MAX in my 26" barreled Remington Varmint rifle to see if the slower powder increases velocity in my longer barrel.

I understand the concept of why the slower burning powder will be a good match for the longer barrel, my question is will the 4831 be too slow for my 22 inch 9.25 twist stock barrel?

I understand the concept of why the slower burning powder will be a good match for the longer barrel, my question is will the 4831 be too slow for my 22 inch 9.25 twist stock barrel?

In a 20" Savage Youth with 85gr Barnes TSX velocity at 44.5 grains IMR4831 was running 3,235. The GK's (will be nearly exactly like accubond) will hit max pressure a bit quicker due to bearing surface but should get PLENTY speed!

Bet it will hit 3,100 easy and knock on the door of 3,200 if you work up to it and see where max really is for the gun. Being stock often allows more due to over chamber to begin with.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts