need some load advice for 243 85 gr sierra gk's

tn243

I have been loading 80gr nosler bt bullets with h380 with great results out of my factory savage model 10. Im now looking to load up the 85gr gameking but I am having a hard time deciding which powder to choose. I have on hand imr 4064,4198,4895 hogdon h4895, h322, h335, bl-c (2) any help would be appreciated as I am new to the reloading game.

Varget is the one powder I forgot to list that I have. How much varget are you loading Ghost7?

I use 44.0grs of IMR 4350 with an 87gr V-MAX and this load drives tacks and goes 3250fps in a 26" barrel. All of your powders are too fast to effectively use the 85s.

Yeah I inherited all that powder besides the h380 and he loaded 22-250 and 223 most of the time so I figured it would be too fast.

Tn243, I get the best accuracy with 34.8 gr. I don't have a chronograph yet but according to published data I should be breaking the 3000 fps threshold, not to shabby. At 100 yds I'm getting 1/3" to 1/2" moa. I'm very pleased. Still new to reloading I am still experimenting with other powders though. Sierra has a 1-800 number that you can use to talk to some very knowledgable fellas who have forgotten more about this stuff than you and I will ever know. This is a great resource and they are happy to help...real down to earth. Give them a call.

Try to find some 4350, IMR or Hodgdon. RL17 and Superformance are probably worth looking into as well.

Much thanks for all of the input, been studying up on load data and found the 4350 in a lot of people's top powders for the 243 I was also curious to know of anyone's experience with 4831 in the 85 gr range. I am going to buy a couple of lbs of powder to work up some loads with 4350 is definitely going on the list I will look into the 17 and Superformance. Any other suggestions for the shopping list would be much appreciated.

4831 is too slow for 85 gr. You should find what you're looking for between 4350, RL17 and Superformance. H4350 can be hard to find because it's so popular....fyi

Sounds like I have my 3 to go buy. imr and hogdon 4350 are easy to come by around me. Is one better than the other? I know hogdon lists it's 4350 as an extreme powder being less temp sensitive.

I gotcha, well thanks for all the help guys looks like I've got some loading to do before the weekend. hopefully it dries up so I can get some range time in saturday

Don't leave Accurate 4350 out of the picture. It works just a good as either IMR or H. In my experience with what I load AA and IMR end up being the same load most of the time.

For years, one of my all-time best loads has been the 85gr Sierra HPBT over 43.5gr of H4831. Has been a very accurate load in Remington, Ruger and Savage rifles in 243. Killed a lot of deer in Arizona with this combination.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.