need some info on new Barrel buy

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by 7mm mag sendero, Oct 24, 2010.

1. 7mm mag sendero

7mm mag sendero Active Member

Hello gents,
    I have a rem 300wm sendero and would like to put an good tube on it.this is the first time i have done this and dont know what to get. i would like a 30in toube but what twist?5r or not?who makes the best Barrel? I'm shooting the 190gr sierra matchking any and input would be grate thank you much

Adam
    Barrels and Ballistics [​IMG] Post New Thread
    Barrels and Ballistics [​IMG] Post New Thread

2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

IMO not a "best" barrel.

Decide first if you want cut rifling (Krieger, Brux, Bartlein, Satern, etc) or button rifling (Hart, Broughton, Shilen, Pac Nor, Lilja, Douglas etc )

Broughton is the 5C (canted rifling also)

You will get good barrels from any one of the above.

You if shooting up to 210s in a magnum, you can easily go 1-11 or just go with a 1-10 twist quite safely.

I would call/email each and see what their delivery time is also. Could be as little as "setting on the shelf to 6 months"

then decide on a reamer. I would call Dave Kiff at PTG tell him what you want to shoot and let him send you your own reamer. That is $150 and well worth if you are staying with the 300 Win mag.

Decide on a very good smith that when he rebarrels can clean up your factory action for a reasonable fee and skim bed it when done.

BH

3. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top barrel makers, and many have been mentioned. Some of the benchshooters have been saying that Mike Rock @ Rock Creek barrels is the way to go if you want a R style rifling in 30 caliber. There are many who say Krieger is top of the line and this is hard to argue as well.

I can tell you this, I own many barrels from most every top barrel maker and have been satisfied with all so far. I do not have a Douglas, however. I have no intentions of buying one either. If I'm going through the trouble of getting a custom bbl, it is going to be handlapped.

My next 30 cal barrel is going to be a Rock, 5R barrel in 11 twist if he offers that twist rate. It will be on a 300 RUM. the intent is for 210 VLDs first, and 200 Accubonds second. I've talked with enough shooters now that I trust this little "secret" if that's what you want to call it.

4. RJ338

RJ338 Well-Known Member

Derek,
    I have used many Rock barrels and have yet to be disapointed. The 1-11 is my choice and the fluted Sendero is nice for a light(10-11lb) rig or a fluted M24 if you want a heavier tube. Shawn Carlock' DE brakes work well as do the Muscle Brakes though for a more sporter style I like the Vais.
    Good luck with your build.

5. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

Thank you for another confirmation. I like Rock's webpage but I don't know if he changed it or not. It used to say, "quietly making the best cut rifled barrels..." or something to that effect. I've never had one by him.

I will tell you this too, if Hart ever decides to make some 3 groove R style rifled barrels, I will purchase on in 7mm, 30 cal, and 6.5 the moment they are available. Haven't been to their website in awhile so I don't know if this is an option or not.

6. Buano

Buano Well-Known Member

I agree with the above recommendations, but would add one more, depending on how the rifle will be used: I would strongly consider a Christenson carbon-wrapped barrel if cutting weight without sacrificing accuracy is an issue for you.

7. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

sorry you did not get reply you wanted. bounty said it except- why do you want o 30 inch barrel. what are you shooting at? and why are you shooting 190 sierras. does it have a muzzlebreak? i have a win mag sendero and llove it. roninflag

8. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

First of all, is the barrel you have now worn out? If not, shoot it, as sendero rifles usually shoot pretty good.
    If you are set on a new barrel, get a 24" 1X10 twist and shoot the 190's at 3000fps with Retumbo powder.
    That is my set up for the 300WM I have.
    I like the cut rifled barrels.