Need some help totally baffled

Iirc you didnt measure the base diameter of the cartridge? I saw it was suggested already but if all other things are ruled out that's one more measurement that can cause the problem you're having.

Was the 20moa rail on the rifle the whole time or was this an addition when the new scope was added? Mounting screws could be protruding. Did you use the screws that came with the 20moa rail or did you use the screws from the previous bases?

My vote is for the difference in the bullet design when you pull the 180 gr bullet see if the brass will chamber before you resize it, that will tell if it's the bullet or the brass.
Will do this if below doesn't check out as the cause, should have thought of it myself. DUH
Was the 20moa rail on the rifle the whole time or was this an addition when the new scope was added? Mounting screws could be protruding. Did you use the screws that came with the 20moa rail or did you use the screws from the previous bases?
Correct you are did use the screws that came with the base will also check this first and get back.

OK here's what I found.

Checked and confirmed primers are not the issue.
Checked and the screws for the scope base are recessed quite deeply into the receiver and can not be making contact.
Pulled the bullets from three live rounds of the ammo that didn't fit. Measured again all three for brass length from base to shoulder. Brass piece #1-was 1.6185 #2-was 1.6185 #3-was 1.61855

Chambered all three all three bolt was still difficult to close, so it was most likely NOT the bullet.
Used my Redding body only sizing die (only sizing die I have in 308 other than my Lee Collet) and resized all three bumping the shoulder back 0.0020-0.0025"
Now all three chambered butter smooth without issue using normal bolt force identical to the other rounds.
Re-sized brass measures 1.6165-1.6160"

Did miss one very important thing. After I chambered the resized brass I looked over the brass I had colored with the Sharpie and looked very closely and sure enough saw a hair thin line formed around where the neck meets the shoulder indicating contact between the shoulder and the chamber and was almost certainly my problem.

I then remeasured the ammo that had no fit issues and discovered for reasons that completely escape me I obviously measured incorrectly as the ammo now measured from base to shoulder 1.6155 to 1.6140 or an error of at least 0.003" to as much as .004"

Again as I sit confused here reading my SAMMI sheet on the 308 Win it reads that the max length from base to where the shoulder meets the neck is 1.7116 and all the Federal factory ammo I have is WAY below that maximum measurement.
Am I missing something?

I am to tired now to dig into this any more and I wont have any more time until 3-5 days from now. I have 300 pieces if new Lapua 308 brass so I will measure a few of them, size them with my Redding BOSD and then my Lee Collet die and see what measurements I get and how the new sized brass chambers.

At any rate SEAMS like I have found and solved my problem.
Thanks to all for your help and for your time to do so.

Will report back when I measure and then size the Lapua brass.

Great report on your "adventure"! Sometimes those things can drive you crazy. I have the same gun new in box, and haven't ever fired it because I am currently engrossed with the 300 win mag. I didn't know this Savage was that accurate, although it seems they have a good reputation. Thanks

Did you measure the outside diameter of the case? It seems you were very thorough on length measuring but didn't see this, or missed it.

I had this issue with new brass one time in a rifle. Since it was unloaded new brass, I just ran through my sizing die and the tough to close bolt problem went away. This was a number of years ago, and I think it was Winchester brass but can recall for certain.

Since the resizing die seemed to fix the issue for you, something in the original sizing must be off slightly would be what i would lead to, just pinpointing may be tough.