Need some help on choices M1, M2 or Cds dials for leupold?

buckand bull

Hello All, ok I am a newbie to the long range thing and I dont want to waste money on the wrong equipment. I am confused on which product to go with the M1, M2, or Cds dials for either just elevation or both windage and elevation?

I am shooting a 300 win mag floated barrel, 2.5 pound trigger, 180 grain hornady sst. The scope I am buying is the 4.5 14x40mm Long range side focus duplex leupold. I want to be able to practice and shoot out to 600 yards.

I was thinking the cds but the only issue is I would have to get them for my home state to practice, then every other state I will be hunting. I do want something that is pretty easy for a beginner though. I have also heard a lot of guys dont mess with getting a windage M1, CDS turret. Is that a good idea because how do u compensate the wind if needed?

Anyways what do you guys think is best?

I know if anybody knows its all the folks on this site

Thanks in advance!!

Your CDS turret will come with MOA markings so when you go to different states/elevations or develop different loads you can just print another chart in MOA. The CDS dials don't necessarily need to be tailored to a specific load or elevation. I think if you can get proficient with MOA dials you will be a more versatile shooter.

I have M1's but I am starting to think about the CDS dials because I occasionally find that I bump the dials a couple of clicks while I am packing my gun for coyote hunting. I have a friend who just got CDS dials put on a scope but hasn't used it yet. They feel very good and I think they will be less likely to get bumped off.

Do a search on the CDS. There have been many posts on this subject recently. In a nut shell, the CDS comes with an elevation turret marked in MOA. Once you have your load developed and determined your actual drop, you call Leupold, give them your CDS model number and serial number, and they will send you another turret marked in yardages. Use the yardage turret for your home state and the MOA for when you travel, or shoot at different elevations.

From a practical standpoint, there is very little if any change in your bullets drop for the first 400 to 500 yards. Use some ballistic software and vary the elevation and temperature inputs and you will see what I mean. There is a difference in drop once you get further out (500-600 yds), but it is usually only a couple of clicks. easy enough to compensate for by dialing and then adding or subtract a couple more clicks. Just make sure to re-zero your rifle to the new elevation before shooting. If not, then your clicks will be off by a substantial difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.