Need some advise on a caliber for Elk hunt

I've been invited to go on a elk hunt and need some advise on what gun I should bring or buy a different one. I have a 270 weatherby and hand load my rounds. I load 140gr Hornady SST and getting around 3300fps with them. Is that enough bullet or caliber for Elk ? Or should I get a different gun/Caliber? This is my first time elk hunting and know you may have to shoot at a good distance. I've shot this round to 960yds with good accuracy and comfortable doing it. Thanks for any tips

There's a lot of different choices for that but yes you'll be more than fine

Quite a few years ago before going back to the 7mm-08, 7 RSAUM and then a 7mm Rem Mag, we used the 130gr, 140gr and then the 150gr SST on our 270 Win's.

The 150gr worked best. At close range it caused hydrostatic shock and at longer ranges it still produced fast kills. Don't remember ever recovering one, I believe all left exit wounds and caused severe damage to lungs. These will go through the shoulder as well, they always gave good penetrarion.

The 130gr and 140gr didn't always exit and although they did produce fast kills, the 150gr seemed to kill a bit faster, only by a few seconds but those seem like minutes when waiting for the animal to drop.

Many deer were taken with the 150gr and my dad also took a few elk with it, before going back to 7mm cartridges. All were one shot kills, except for one elk that was hit a bit back and following shot did the job.

Hope this helps

Luis
I was loading 150 triple shocks out of my seven Weatherby. I took my shot at around 600 yards and killed an elk the next day my buddy used it at 75 yards and killed an elk that bullet will perform at 3025 ft./s so if you get the 140s around that velocity it'll do its job if you hit the vitals if you're worried about shoulder shots and hard bone I would go with the barnes bullet if you're spending that kind of money on a hunt you might want the reassurance.

I'm a newbie to LRH, but I just need to throw my 2 cents in. Accurate to 960 yds in a feat. But, where was this, a range, any wind, from a bench, etc. Huffing it up and down hills all day under varying conditions (may be no wind where you shoot from but 12 mph in the draw where that trophy stands) will tax that accuracy range. Throw in the FACT that you will get excited before the shot. I'm in agreement with what others have said, practice if possible to conditions you will be hunting in. If you can only practice at the range, do jumping jacks until your winded, then set up to shoot within 2 minutes. I would change my bullet and plan to shoot under 500 yds tops. Hitting the 'boiler room' is essential.
Another gun is always nice, but do you have time to get that and set up a load, and then get proficently accurate. Sounds like your 270 W is accurate enough and that you are comfortable shooting it.

I've been invited to go on a elk hunt and need some advise on what gun I should bring or buy a different one. I have a 270 weatherby and hand load my rounds. I load 140gr Hornady SST and getting around 3300fps with them. Is that enough bullet or caliber for Elk ? Or should I get a different gun/Caliber? This is my first time elk hunting and know you may have to shoot at a good distance. I've shot this round to 960yds with good accuracy and comfortable doing it. Thanks for any tips
Ask them who invited you to give you a ballpark guess of what maximum range you will have where you go, then assess your equipment. - For me: Be ready for a long-shot, but it has always been within 300-yards, as far as opportunity goes. - I live in Wyoming. - I think you are good to go with the 270 Weatherby, but I'd use a Nosler Partition bullet.

Hard to find. But, maybe next time.

The .277 150-grain Partition Spitzers have a BC of .465

(Not bad. :D Same BC as a .308 168-gr. SMK BTHP!)

270-Wby-150gr-version-9-0.jpg

I've seen half-inch groups with my .30-06, and Dad's .270 Winchester and .338 WM - using Partitions!
115-16318_2.jpg

Last edited:
Plenty of elk have been dropped by a plain-Jane 270 Winchester with Remington and Winchester factory ammo, so your Weatherby should easily get the Jon done if you do your part. HOWEVER, if you are hankering for a new rifle and caliber to play with, this is your chance. Please, just don't pick the 6.5 CM. We don't need another long thread about the latest "wonder" caliber…good luck on your hunt, whichever way it turns out.

Save your money. Many Elk have been taken with a 270. If you want an excuse for another rifle that's a different story I've guided 100's of hunters carrying a 270 and they work just fine. Good luck to you.

The 270 is a great gun . Used mine on several bull elk. Just keep it to about 5-600 yds . Don't go through the shoulder with the SST . Slam it through the engine room and that get-r-done ! Good luck and happy hunting!

I would use your 270 weatherby . Use your same hand loads but I would use hornady 140 gr interbond. It's a bit tougher and will have the same bc. I do this but with 300 and 180 gr. I use sst for smaller game and interbond for elk and moose and such they shoot the exact same.

Beware, the One Gun, One load guy that,.. KNOWS how to, use IT ! And the OP, sounds like, he Knows, his "Chit" !
The .270 Weatherby with, YOUR Load, will SLAY an Elk, out to about, 700 to 750 Yards, IF hit, in the "Boiler Room" !
I shoot, a .270 WSM with, 140 grain, Classic Hunter Bergers ( .528 BC ) going, 3,185 FPS and feel comfortable to, 650-700 yards, Max. ( If, Calm Wind ).
BUT,.. I will Hunt hard, to try to get,.. a lot,.. CLOSER !

I have NO reason to, impress anybody with, trying to make, a LONG Shot and possibly, cripple / lose an Elk,.. due to, a BAD Wind, "Call" !
PS; the Wind is ALWAYS Blowing,.. in Idaho and a 5 to 10 MPH Wind, IS,.. a Calm Day !
MUCH Prefer, being up close and Personal as I like, the SURE thing,.. Kill !
Exactly!!!!

My two cents is you have plenty of gun just the wrong bullet- I have a lot of experience killing elk with both gun and archery tackle- when I was young my wife gave me a Ruger M77 338 WM for Christmas our first year of being married (both keepers for sure- I still have both wife and gun almost 47 years later) the 338 shot factory Winchester 200 grain bullets really well and I killed my first rifle elk with that combo with a running lung shot at 200 plus yards, it ran another 100 yards before collapsing, my thought was this was a good gun ammo combo until I used the same bullet and caliber combo a few years in British Columbia on Mountain Goat and Mountain Caribou, the goat soaked up 4 rounds and the caribou 3 rounds that all should have been lethal shots without the multiple rounds. The 338WM was plenty of gun but my bullet/ammo selection sucked, I have since loaded Nosler 210 grain & 250 grain Partitions and the penetration and performance has been great. The bottom line is I would stick with deep penetrating bullets for elk for the very best performance- the 270 WTBY should work well with Nosler 150 grain AccuBond LR or 160 SP Partitions and add Barnes 130 grain Tipped TSXBT to the list.

The 270 weatherby is plenty, all about shot placement with the gun used. You can buy a new gun if you want one but you do not need one. I use a 264 win mag for Elk.

I killed a big bull this year with a muzzleloader and I've heard rumors that some have even succumbed to wounds caused by pointy sticks slung from bows. :)

Your .270 is perfect. Caliber is so far behind confidence & shot placement that it's a secondary consideration. I'd tend to favor a bit more sturdy bullet, but that's only if you have time to thoroughly test it and get CONFIDENT with it. The majority of elk hunters get one shot opportunity every few years so I wish you all the luck & a successful hunt.