Need Some Advice on Bear Hunting in WV Please!

Parsons85

I live in Charleston, WV. Ive hunted deer for 15 years and I have never been bear hunting before. I dont even know where to start. I would love to get started and maybe teach my kids how. If you have any advice or know anybody that does please let me know>

I just got back from the Bellva area on a hunt. I ended up harvesting a 250 pound bear, took him at 486 yards with a 338 Kirby Allen magnum based off the 408 Cheytac case. 300 grain bullet was devastating on the bear.

Bear was taken at 4:45PM but we did not get him in the Polaris Ranger until 9:40PM. He was 250 yards down the side of the mountain. We had to use every strap and winch line to get even close to him. 4 of us repelled down the mountain and pulled the bear up a foot at a time until we could get the winch cable on him. You guys have extremely rough country and a spot a stalk takes a while to pull off. We saw 9 different bears but some were not feasible to harvest because of the retrieval needed.

Ended up giving some of the meat to a needy family and sent the skinned out bear to have a rug made.

My advise (fwiw) is to base the shot off of retrieval location as well as distance you are comfortable shooting. The wind in the valley plays a major role in the bullet trajectory.

The land we hunted was around Little Elk Mountain. I believe it's all public but we were with some locals who had permission to hunt a few other places as well. We saw bears everywhere we went.

Next time I'm taking about 200 feet in rope to aid in the retrieval!!lol

Thats very helpful. Thank you.

I would like to hunt with someone who knows a little and maybe learn a few things.
Do you know anybody around that area or in WV that I could talk to more about it?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.