New to bear hunting what are some need to knows?

LocDSK

I'm 16 I have a .300 win mag Savage model 11, I really like black bear meat as well as the furs and I'd like to hunt one of my own this year. How would I start? Is my rifle to high of a caliber? Should I get a guide? I'll be hunting in Arizona, what are some need to knows when bear hunting? I am a decent shot I should be better by time bear season rolls around next year, thank you hunters, I am new to this forum I am not sure if I'm in the right category or not. If not can a moderator move me to the right category

:)

I did my 1st fall bear hunt over bait here in mi last fall , thing I learned are 1 if you baiting, try to do it in an area that will be the least affected by dog hunters, start baiting as early as possible to establish a site. Prepare to sit a lot. Learn the best way to field judge a bear.
Your .300 will be fine. Bears are quieter and faster than you would expect.
A properly set up bait site can tell you how many and good big the bears visiting are, a camera will tell you when they are coming in. Be loud maintaining you bait, and quit when you hunt.

last year was my first year bear hunting most of it was spent high country spot and stalk the rest was done from a canoe. I have bin using a 3006 and 45 colt personally I think your 300wm is just right. no madder how you are hunting remember to take it slow and do it right I've messed up more hunt than I care to say because I went to fast dident want to do it right and I'm only 16. :)enjoy Andrew.

I too am relatively new to bear hunting. I am hunting black bears. Here in Ontario the hunt starts sept 1st. I set up two baiting stations yesterday, as i am hoping to get my black bear in October rather than september. makes for a better coat. Both stations have trail cameras set up.

My bait stations are about 1/2 mile apart, as I am hunting on private property which has approx 300 acres, of a good mix of hay fields, good thick bush near by, and lots of food, apples, berries etc...it should be a bear paradis.

My questions are:

1.How often should I check my bait?
2. Why make noise going in to check bait? (Please explain)
3. Once I have a hit, I plan on setting up a stand. (tree or ground blind...which is better?)

Reason i have not set up stand first as I was hoping to get bears coming in first. I know about 1.5 miles away, there are bears, but dont have permission to hunt in that area yet. working on it though.

Any advise is greatly appreciated from you experienced bear hunters.

Kind regards,

Jaime

I'm 16 I have a .300 win mag Savage model 11, I really like black bear meat as well as the furs and I'd like to hunt one of my own this year. How would I start? Is my rifle to high of a caliber? Should I get a guide? I'll be hunting in Arizona, what are some need to knows when bear hunting? I am a decent shot I should be better by time bear season rolls around next year, thank you hunters, I am new to this forum I am not sure if I'm in the right category or not. If not can a moderator move me to the right category

:)

The 1st thing to do is check the State regulations where you hope to hunt. In most States it's a draw process, just about each State has different regulations on methods. Yes, I see you've been away a while.

300 mag is plenty of gun, over the years we've had folks take over 40 bears, and most were taken with lighter cartridges, and a couple with bows. Use a good bullet, and put it in the right place. We can't bait here, so it's spot and stalk, takes patience, but is effective. Watch the wind, bears sense of smell is tough to beat. You can call pretty effectively, but I'd advise caution if using a "Cab Squaller", because things can get interesting fast. However, they are pretty effective in calling in boars (as well is the PO'd sow).

Probably the most important thing would be to get a mentor, to hunt with.
Get someone to go with, that can fill you in on important , "need to know stuff,"
in the field.

So, were you successful?
For the smaller bears 300 lbs or less most bullets will work. But you never know how big the next bear you see will be. . Shooting over bait is seldom a long range affair and I like to get as close as I can to them. I always shoot for big bones on bear so a tough bullet is best. Bears can be amazingly tough and if you are saving the meat you don't want to blood shock it all up. I like Barnes, Swift, Trophy Bonded ect bullets. A scope in the 2 power range is good.

So, were you successful?
For the smaller bears 300 lbs or less most bullets will work. But you never know how big the next bear you see will be. . Shooting over bait is seldom a long range affair and I like to get as close as I can to them. I always shoot for big bones on bear so a tough bullet is best. Bears can be amazingly tough and if you are saving the meat you don't want to blood shock it all up. I like Barnes, Swift, Trophy Bonded ect bullets. A scope in the 2 power range is good.

Yes, i was ... in the sense of being aware of them and what to watch out for in the woods and around ledges and caves... At 15 my father pointed out a tree that a bear had marked, and seeing that alone made me have a deep respect for them.We both carried Model 100 s' 308 cal. (open sites) with 200 gr bullets. My Father was my mentor, but never wanted to shoot a bear unless we had too. So I wasn't big on bear hunting. Still, years later when I was in my 20's I shot two black bears in my time. There are other hunters who can tell you a lot more about bears than I can. The ones who hunt them all the time, are the ones I would want for a partner, and their knowledge. Some bears aren't very big, but are pretty big when they got you by the arss... lol

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.