Need recomendations for .220 Swift Sendero round

Sendero10

I have a Remington 700 Sendero (VSSF) 220 swift with a Leupold VX-III Long Range 6.5-20 50mm scope. I have struggled to find the right bullet to use in this gun. I have tried the HSM 55 grain hornady V-Max bullet and it has been decent. I use the Hornady 165 gr. SST bullets in the identical set up in 300 win mag and love them, but can't find the same bullet confidence in the smaller caliber. I don't hand load so I would need production ammunition. Thanks in advance for your assistance. I would also be interested to see what the forum thinks is the maximum effective distance with this round.

nice rifle . nice scope. i believe hornady offers a 60 hp load , that is what i would try.

I used to shoot the same rifle. I wish I would have kept that one. I didn't reload then so I fed it factory fodder and mine shot the hornady 52 gr v max the best by far. Groups at 200 yards were rarely larger than 1/2 an inch. I think they discontinued the vmax 52 gr but I believe there is a 52 grain a max. I have a couple of buddies that shoot 220 swifts and their factory guns always liked the 52 grain bullets better than anything.

Howdy,

I shot a 220 Swift for a long long time, it was a Ruger, but it liked 52 an 53 match bullets the most (nearly any brand shot really good, Sierra was best). 2nd best was 55 Nosler Ballistic Tip. When the throat started to get long, I switched to Sierra's 60 grn. HP and it did extremely well until I literally shot the barrel out of it. V-Max wasn't made yet when I was shooting the 55 BT's.

The match bullets really showed their shine at around 3600'/sec. I loaded the BT's at around 3800'/sec. but had to trim and FL size more often. I never chrono'd the 60's, just learned where they shot and called it good.

I used mostly H-380 powder and CCI primers (if you decide to reload).

Best O Luck :)

Thanks for all of the feed back! It is very helpfull and I will look into some different options you have mentioned. Anyone know what the maximum effective/accurate range is for this rifle? 500 yards?

HAVE not shot my vssf 22-250 on paper at 500. my winchester model 70 stealth 22-250: i have had various family memebers shoot in f-class competiton at 500 ; and while it does not shoot as good at 100 as my vssf the 500 yard scores are very high . the f-class x ring is 2.5 inches and the 10 ring is 5 inches on 500 yard target. with good loads on day with very little wind a coyote at 500 yards is in trouble. once you get the distance dialed in on your turret.

It looks to me that the 55 grain V-Max Hornady bullet will stay super-sonic out to about 900 yards. I would not feel comfortable shooting at something that would be past the super-sonic flight stage. The problem at that distance would be the wind on that small bullet. It would move about 5 feet at 900 yards with a 5 mp crosswind.

Maximum Distance say ye??

Coyotes in the 500 ballbark were not a problem so long as I read the wind right.

I did once shoot a prarie dog at 697 long paces. It was accurate enough at that distance to "walk the shot" into the dog. Had to walk the shot, because it was before we had rangefinders and windmeters and ballistic software. I had no idea where to aim till I let one go and saw the impact.

In my old gun, the 53 Sierra match bullets would shoot 3 under and inch at 300 pretty regular (calm days of course). It was easily the most accurate factory barrel rifle I've ever handled, even though it was a Ruger, it was a good one!:)

The .220 Swift is one of my all time favorites.. Here's a load I'll share with you; which I used for many Yotes... Accuracy from my 26" M700 was stellar
WW case
CCI BR-2 Primer
55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
RL-15 {39.0grs} max load work up
3800 fps with 22 fps SD Choreographed
Drop ¼ moa clicks 100- 0.. 200-3.. 300-9.. 400-17.. 500-26.. 600-38.. 700-53.. 800-71.. 900-94.. 1000-122..
Good Luck

Usually this caliber seems to prefer bullets in the 52-55 grain class due to the slow twist in factory barrels - many have a 14" twist, with only a few having 12" twist. Most won't stabilize bullets much heavier than 55 grains, but the Win 64 gr SMP and the Sierra 63 gr SMP will typically stabilize while the 60 gr Amax may not...

Good luck!

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.