Need reasonably priced LR base for savage

flopduster

I am setting up my new savage 10fp 308 and need a sloped base as I have run out of adjustment at 650 yards. I have a SA GEN 3 6x20x56 and when zeroed at 100 I only have 16moa of adjustment left. I would like to be able to get to 1000 and it appears that a 20 moa base might make it or might not.

I know the SA scopes catch a lot of flak but I have not had an issues with repeatablity, the clarity could be better but I am not shooting comp. That said, 30 clicks at 100 yards moves POI by 8.5 inches so it is not exactly 1/4 moa. With a 100 yard zero my adjustments are as follows:

300-----+3.75 moa
400-----+6.5 moa
500-----+ 9.75 moa
600-----+14.0 moa
700-----+ 16.0 moa and holdover at 1st mil.
Norma brass. 44.5 grains of IMR 4895 and 168 CT Ballistic tips, velocity unknown. ALt 100ftasl, 50 degrees f and no wind. Groups average 1/2 to 3/4 moa at all ranges.

What base do you recommend??? Will 20 moa be enough??

Thanks

I have EGW 20's and 25's on all my rifles.

My scope only has 50MOA of adjustment. I use the 20's on rifles that I need to zero at 100yards and 25's on the ones that I need to reach 1k.

The EGW 25 moa looks like it will do the job. Any suggestions for super high 30mm rings??

Thanks
I'm not sure you'll need super high rings for that scope. The EGW's sit a little high. I'd bet mediums would work and at the most standard high rings.
Check out the Burris Extreme Tactical Rings. Very nice for the $45-$50.

I am setting up my new savage 10fp 308 and need a sloped base as I have run out of adjustment at 650 yards. I have a SA GEN 3 6x20x56 and when zeroed at 100 I only have 16moa of adjustment left. I would like to be able to get to 1000 and it appears that a 20 moa base might make it or might not.

What base do you recommend??? Will 20 moa be enough??

Thanks

Hi Flopduster,

I have the Warne mil spec full rail with 20MOA built in for my Savage 10FP and it is fantastic! Built rock solid and keeps the scope nice and fixed. The Warne mil spec scope rings to accompany it are also fantastic - my scope has not moved at all since the installation, to say I'm impressed is very good.

F.Y.I. you can find a picture of my setup here.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.