Need opinions on Rem SPS stock

Good luck with the purchase and let us know what he decides on!

Well he went with a Savage LRH in 308. I have enough brass, dies, Varget, primers, and bullets already to keep him going. He got a vortex to top it off and has agreed to a second job on weekends this summer after school to keep things running. Guess I'm getting soft in my old age but looking forward to the help.

Rings are lapped, scope is mounted, just need to load some ammo and we'll break in the barrel when the weather will allow.

I modified mine to stiffen the front end with carbon fiber rods and JB weld along with pillar and glass bedded the action. I upgraded to a BC medalist in a weatherby style stock and the flex on the forend was no different than my mod'ed SPS, i.e. not great. Of course the bedding block make the BC better but if I was saving money all the way, I would just mod the Tupperware stock. I bought my SPS for the right price with full intentions up upgrading everything on it. If I was going to buy once and not upgrade it. I think the suggestion of the 700 LR is a good bet. Good glass is a must past 500 yards.
I've done the same thing on tupperware stocks with everything from cleaning rods to 5/6 all thread.

Do that with pillars and bedding and you can stiffen one up nicely. I found Devcon Steel Epoxy works best. You can also add some weight in the fore end to reduce muzzle flip by mixing some lead shot with your epoxy. It in fact works pretty well.

Just dig out as much material as you can from the lug area forward and "fill'er up".

Well he went with a Savage LRH in 308. I have enough brass, dies, Varget, primers, and bullets already to keep him going. He got a vortex to top it off and has agreed to a second job on weekends this summer after school to keep things running. Guess I'm getting soft in my old age but looking forward to the help.

Rings are lapped, scope is mounted, just need to load some ammo and we'll break in the barrel when the weather will allow.
Not a bad choice to start with. His grandkids can still be shooting it when he's gone because it's almost impossible to shoot out a .308.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts