Need new "light" rifle?

While I cant agree or disagree on the 7mm Mag, or the Tikka, I can say that I've never been a huge fan of the 7mm mag by itself. No reason really, just thought there were better calibers with less powder. I may look into the 7mag and thanks for the info. As far as factory rifles go, and I'm sure the Tikka is an all out shooter, I don't think I could get myself to shoot anything other than a Savage now days. Again, I may just look into the Tikka in a 7mag. What does your scoped rifle weigh?

Thanks

Man, I don't think I could bring myself to own a Savage if it was given to me, but to each his own.

My Tikka 7 Rem weighs 7 1/4 lbs scoped with a sling and 3 rounds. 7mm 160s-168s are where it's at for a lightweight hunting rig that needs to deliver the mail. A 264 WM in a Tikka would work well too.

Tanner

While I cant agree or disagree on the 7mm Mag, or the Tikka, I can say that I've never been a huge fan of the 7mm mag by itself. No reason really, just thought there were better calibers with less powder. I may look into the 7mag and thanks for the info. As far as factory rifles go, and I'm sure the Tikka is an all out shooter, I don't think I could get myself to shoot anything other than a Savage now days. Again, I may just look into the Tikka in a 7mag. What does your scoped rifle weigh?

Thanks
I think the .257 Wby Mag is the most perfect whitetail caliber ever designed...That being said, I own three 7mm RemMag rifles and for an all-around do-it-all caliber the .280 A.I. and 7mmRM are just plain hard to beat.

Since I have 3 of the same caliber, I am thinking about having my smith rebarrel my Browning A-Bolt II 7mmRM to a .280 A.I. because all I have to do is swap out the magnum bolt head for a standard (.308/.30-06) bolt head for $60, and buying a .280 Rem detachable mag for $69, which would be ALOT cheaper than me digging around for another 700 action to build off of.

Too get to the point, I'm tired of packing around a heavy 300 RUM everywhere I go on the prairies for miles, but at the same time, its comforting knowing that I have a gun that will perform well out to extreme ranges. I rarely shoot over 700 yards on anything other than steel. I had this gun built a few years ago and its definitely a shooter for sure, but I know there are other options out there. I haven't owned many calibers, but I know there are some great light weight 700 yard guns out there that WONT turn your shoulder to burger after every shot. So, I'm really looking for a light weight rifle, less recoil than a 300 RUM or even a 300 mag, and capable of 700 yard max range on game up to big mule deer. I've had lots of options thrown my way in calibers.......

243, 25-06, 260, 6.5x284, 280AI......etc..

I'm really not sure on what route to take. I know theres some real performance calibers out there. I'm sure all these calibers are more than capable, but this is the place to ask. I'll be having a local gentleman build the caliber of my choice once I decide, and will stick with the NF 5.5-22x50. That's about the most weight I want to add along with the Seekins rings/base. Really want to keep it light. As far as the build, the gun builder will obviously use the barrel contour of my choice, etc......mainly just looking for a great 700 yard caliber that will perform nicely on large mule deer. Thanks!!!

Are you interested in wildcats? If not, I'll save my spiel:D......Rich

I'm also not really wanting to make brass, so I do like the idea of being able to buy good brass "lapua" in say the 6.5x284, 260, etc.......but thats not a deal breaker for me. That 6.5 SAUM looks bada** to me. Hmmmm

Well, I thought most of these were at one time......? Im all ears Mr. Rich.

Thanks

If you like the SAUM, you will love the 6.5 SS. I don't know if you have read the thread, but, if you haven't, it is based on the SAUM but shortened so you can run the VLD bullets through a short action magazine without shoving them into the case. It looks like a Creedmore on steroids and will fit the same as. It has a LONG .320" neck, more than anything else in the class, and holds 71 grains of H20 because the taper is removed and the and the shoulder sharpened. I have fired the 160 grain Matrix at 3050' in a 26" barrel and the 140's will exceed 3200'. (very efficient case) I have one as well as "Bigngreen" and so far this year they have killed two elk, two deer, and a bear (out to 820 yards). I can get quality custom bushing micrometer dies from Whidden in two months and have the reamer and go gauge for chambering. This is one sweet cartridge and expect there will be a bunch built when people discover the advantages. I use the 300 SAUM NORMA brass which is proving to be tough and consistent.
If a long action is your game, the 6.5 Sherman will duplicate the ballistics and brass is plentiful. Sooooooo...............Rich

My vote would be for the .270 wsm IF the 170 bergers ever come out. 700 yds would be cake and give you room to grow, recoil wouldn't be to bad but I would prefer a brake. A 6.5 140gr bullet is great choice but at the longer ranges I would prefer a little more bullet because perfect shot placement at 700 yards is never garenteeded. As far as factory rifles I looked around for a while for a tikka T3 ultra lite but could never find anything or any information on them, even on Tikkas site, but I've never had any experience with tikka firearms. For the factory game I would put my money on the Savage LRH model.

Then again if you don't mind some case prep the 6.5 S.S. keeps looking more attractive every time I read about it. Nice work Rich.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.