700yd light Elk rifle help needed

Topshot

OK boys, I need your help,

I am looking to build or buy a light rifle for back pack hunting Elk sized game out to say 600 or 700 yards. The rifle should weigh no more than 8.5lb loaded, including scope and mounts. The lighter the better!!

I havce already decided on the scope. A NF NXS 2.5-10x32 with ultra light mounts and rail. I dont want a muzzle brake on this rifle either.

The stock needs to be stable and rugged as my rifles get a pounding on these trips.

Any ideas would be apreciated.

I'd build a short action Rem 700 in 300WSM, I'd put a lightweight kevlar stock on it and a good trigger. I'd put a 24" barrel (light contour). It would shoot the 180gr Accubond at around 3000fps and you should be able to stay under 8lbs with the scope you chose.

AJ

Caliber: 284
Bullet: 168 Berger
Action: Phoenix
Barrel: Brux #4 interupted fluting, 25"
Stock: McMillan Hunter or Manners MCS

My idea of a superbly handy, lighter weight, capable rig, that's easy on the shoulder

Topshot,
Go with a 300 WM in a 22-24" barrel and shoot the 180-210 gr pills. That will have pleanty of energy for elk to 600yrds. If you want , jump up to a 308 Baer, or 30/8mmm ( 30 STW). That would give you another 150yards of range with the same energy as the 300 WM, but might need a break depending on your recoil tolerance. Can't help you get to 8.5# loaded though. Good scope choice for this set up !

270 Savage 111 will do it for you. See "Why not the 270" forum post, its a good read. Mine weighs 7.7# with scope and sling. I even weighed different rings and bases and the scope before I chose and mounted them, as I was trying to stay at 7.5# complete. And good luck to you.

Last edited:
7wsm with 160gr accubond @ 3000fps.
See my other post in your sambar story :)

James

+1

This is what I have for the same use (Light carry) and a 338 RUM for the spot and shoot
elk hunting.

My 7 WSM is on a # 6 lilja contour 24'' barrel and a short action Remingtion. This makes
it weigh less than 9 lbs decked out.

I use the 160 Accubond at 3050 ft/sec and recoil is fine with no brake.

I built a friend a 325 WSM on a short action win and a #5 Lilja contour with no break and
he loves it and using a 180 gr bullet @ 2975ft/sec and it kicks *** on Elk.

Both rifles have laminated stocks for durability and stability.

Using the short action and a SAUM or a WSM cartrige makes a lot of sense for a carry rifle
and recoil is managable in an 8 lb rifle plus the overall length of the rifle is very handy.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.