Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

You don't like it, ok, no need to get bent out of shape.
Nobody's bent out of shape, just stating facts that are pretty obvious to anybody who has used the scopes.

Everybody is certainly entitled to his own opinion. However, one must keep in mind when his opinion is entirely based upon basically nothing, that's about all it's worth and people will weigh it accordingly.

BTW, in case you didn't know, Sightron significantly upgraded the SIII's only a year or two ago, so if your one glance at one inside a shop was very long ago that means you have literally never even seen one of these scopes.

Nobody's bent out of shape, just stating facts that are pretty obvious to anybody who has used the scopes.

Everybody is certainly entitled to his own opinion. However, one must keep in mind when his opinion is entirely based upon basically nothing, that's about all it's worth and people will weigh it accordingly.

BTW, in case you didn't know, Sightron significantly upgraded the SIII's only a year or two ago, so if your one glance at one inside a shop was very long ago that means you have literally never even seen one of these scopes.

I get it, you love your SIGHTRON. The SIII doesn't have the same light gathering as a Leupold, they even admit that in their specs. It doesn't have a good VH reticle. Facts suck don't they. I am not going to buy one, give up. Maybe the OP will.

Last edited:
Jon A, Has a multitude of what I would consider Higher end optics,$1500 & X2.And has tried many scopes, he's a scope junky:rolleyes:

Jon A, Has a multitude of what I would consider Higher end optics,$1500 & X2.And has tried many scopes, he's a scope junky:rolleyes:

Apparently. I still won't buy a SIII. Just prefer my VX-3s. Brighter, better reticle. I hear they have great tracking, but I don't do a ton of that kind of shooting. I hunt, I don't compete in LR tourneys. I do a lot more of holding over. For that I prefer a reticle that aids me in that. I am a bad enough shot as it is.

Sightron comes up with a decent reticle, I might take a look.

Jon A has been on this site for a long time. when it comes to optics, he knows what he's talking about. he's earned his strips. i'm convinced most of the disagreement about scopes is the fact that everyones eyes are different. it's not uncommon to look through others scopes when at the range and i'm always intrigued by the way people rate the different scopes. one will swear this one is better and the next will say the exact opposite. just my theory, it's great we have such a wide selection now. personally i'm glad we have Sightron to choose from cause i'll take an S111 over a VX-3! LOL

Jon A has been on this site for a long time. when it comes to optics, he knows what he's talking about. he's earned his strips. i'm convinced most of the disagreement about scopes is the fact that everyones eyes are different. it's not uncommon to look through others scopes when at the range and i'm always intrigued by the way people rate the different scopes. one will swear this one is better and the next will say the exact opposite. just my theory, it's great we have such a wide selection now. personally i'm glad we have Sightron to choose from cause i'll take an S111 over a VX-3! LOL

Dave, Pennsyltucky huh? I have a friend from Olean, NY and he used to refer to PA as such, and not in a flattering way. Didn't know you embraced that nickname ;).

Yeah, I have literally compared them side by side. I picked up my new VH VX-3 6.5-20x50 yesterday, and put it in the scope demo stock they have under the SIII they had (it was a mil dot reticle). The dealer also got the literature out. The VX-3 claimed 97% light captured, the Sightron didn't claim in the books, but he said his Rep said they were definitely above 90. Not as bright as the Leupy though. Looking at them side by side, or top and bottom I should say, I could notice distinctly the difference in clarity and brightness. I have 20-13 vision, and I just felt the VX-3 was better.

You disagree, I understand. Different eyes is right.

The sightron SIII is an awesome scope.
another scope to look at is the zeiss conquest

my choice for Sightron over Lupy isn't the optics. i put optics about last on my priority list. tracking/repeatability/hold zero is number one, toughness,reticles and so on, optics are last for me. i do like the Lupy reticles better, although Sightron seems to be coming out with a good one soon. have had bad experiences with Lupies, good experiences with Sightrons. i understand your choice is based on similar experiences.once you get that bad taste for something, it's hard to get that warm fuzzy feeling back. i don't like the 270 cartridge, dought i'll ever own one,(bad taste) but it's a fine cartridge. like i said, it's great that we have several good choices these days. and what would we talk about if we only had one scope to choose from?

my choice for Sightron over Lupy isn't the optics. i put optics about last on my priority list. tracking/repeatability/hold zero is number one, toughness,reticles and so on, optics are last for me. i do like the Lupy reticles better, although Sightron seems to be coming out with a good one soon. have had bad experiences with Lupies, good experiences with Sightrons. i understand your choice is based on similar experiences.once you get that bad taste for something, it's hard to get that warm fuzzy feeling back. i don't like the 270 cartridge, dought i'll ever own one,(bad taste) but it's a fine cartridge. like i said, it's great that we have several good choices these days. and what would we talk about if we only had one scope to choose from?

makes sense. like i said, don't do a ton of cranking anymore in shooting.

Its connected, looks great to, Ill get one put it through some tests like some of the people here have and get back to you all on how it preformed for me.

Jon A , Thanks for the review of the vortex ffp over on spiners hide forum i thought i was a great read and am now gona try the vortex pst ffp .Thanks again Staff Sergent.

I put in my two cents worth. I have a new Lupy 6.5-20x50 vx3 and a new Sightron SIII 8-32x56
I like the sightron better, at first I wasn't excited about the target dot, but I actually like it. When compared side by side, I can't tell any difference in light gathering and the clarity on the SIII is outstanding and this is important because I use it as a spotting scope when elk hunting. One other issue I will address is customer service. Last year my rifle scabord strap broke and the gun hit the ground and my horse stepped on the scope bending the tube. It was a sightron SI 4-16. I called customer service to see about getting it repaired, and I was told send it in. I received a new scope no questions asked. This is above and beyond, this was not the scopes fault! Tell me how many other scope manufacturers would do this?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.