Need Long Range Scope Advice <$1k

Love my huskamaw 0-980 yds with one turn on turret but prefer my 6.5-20 vx-iii vh out to 550 yds

Of most of the scopes you guys have mentioned here there is one in particular that I personally would NOT purchase.

Any Leupold VX-III or VX3 period. Have had some leupy's (multiple models) the past few years and they spent most of their time in a USPS mail bag.

Would not track elevation correctly. One would not track plumb, as you raised elevation it tracked right (yes scope was installed plumb & level. Had one that crosshairs let go on 7STW, next shot looked thru and crosshairs were X.

If I were buying a leupold today I would look for a serial number made back when in a Vari-X III.

4 years ago bought my first Sightron in a SII 3x9x40 (IMO still the best $200 ever made) for one of the kids .243. Impressed enough to buy a couple of more then the Big Sky hit the scene.

I have since upgraded all my guns to Big Sky models and have not had one yet go back to Sightron.

I never even looked thru a SIII (never cared much for the reticules) but if the glass is same or better quality than Big Sky's they would be truly impressive.

Sightrons all the way for me. Just got a 4.5x14x50 Big Sky (had'nt been out of box yet), but bought it now to get the $75 rebate for all bought before March 1st. Including rebate got less than $420 in it to the door.

I know scopes have followers so this is MHO.

Of most of the scopes you guys have mentioned here there is one in particular that I personally would NOT purchase.

Any Leupold VX-III or VX3 period. Have had some leupy's (multiple models) the past few years and they spent most of their time in a USPS mail bag.

Would not track elevation correctly. One would not track plumb, as you raised elevation it tracked right (yes scope was installed plumb & level. Had one that crosshairs let go on 7STW, next shot looked thru and crosshairs were X.

If I were buying a leupold today I would look for a serial number made back when in a Vari-X III.

4 years ago bought my first Sightron in a SII 3x9x40 (IMO still the best $200 ever made) for one of the kids .243. Impressed enough to buy a couple of more then the Big Sky hit the scene.

I have since upgraded all my guns to Big Sky models and have not had one yet go back to Sightron.

I never even looked thru a SIII (never cared much for the reticules) but if the glass is same or better quality than Big Sky's they would be truly impressive.

Sightrons all the way for me. Just got a 4.5x14x50 Big Sky (had'nt been out of box yet), but bought it now to get the $75 rebate for all bought before March 1st. Including rebate got less than $420 in it to the door.

I know scopes have followers so this is MHO.

Not saying you are lying, but the stories I have heard about Leupolds being lemons are at best hyperbole. Quite frankly I don't believe most of them.

I have many friends that have Leupolds only, and to a person, no one, I repeat, no one has ever had to send theirs in for faulty equipment. Several have dented or cracked them and had them replaced for free though.

Oh, might as well post this here: my buddy from Leupold got back to me. He said that if I have a 3 degree cant, in any scope, send it in, because he is sure Leupold will fix that. He put it this way, 'if you are in any way unhappy with your purchase, we will make it right.' It just makes me wonder about some of the stories I hear on here.

I have a lot of Leupold scopes and have never had to send one in for repairs in 45 years of using them. They are on rifles from a Kimber 22 to a Custom Shop Remington 416 Magnum and have never had any problems with the scopes. My latest scope is a Leupold custom Greybull Precision and it is on a Weatherby 25-06. Planning on another one to put on 7mm RUM. For my 2 cents worth great scope for the Money from a fixed power to a VX3.

One can buy VX -III all day long for less than 1000$ on optics planet.
A VX-III 6.5-20x50 30mm tube LR side focus... ect. less than a K

I have a dozen Leuppys and a NF and Millets and Tasco and Bushnell and Redfields, simons,

The NF is by far the best for everything... but its a beast.... 2 pounds..
The Leupys are clear and good eye relief and mine track fine... out to a 1000 and left and right.... I have not dialed them out past a 1000k or put more than 6 moa of wind in them but they alll return fine for me.

My millets are great for my .17's and 10-22's and Ar's but i would never run one for my 1K guns... not clear enuff to see at a grand.... for me....

forget the tasco
forget the simons
forget the Bush
Just my two cents...

I would sell lemon aid till I could buy a NF or MK-4

One thing you see a lot Leupold scopes on rifles on other outdoor shows who aren't even being sponsered by Leupold.
But how many of these people run the turrets up and down hundreds or even thousands of times per year? How many of them regularly shoot to 1000 yds or beyond?

They're also the best thing ever on most hunting boards where 300 yds is "long range" and anything farther is "unethical."

Frankly, the opinions of people who don't use a scope the way I do mean very little to me.
Not saying you are lying, but the stories I have heard about Leupolds being lemons are at best hyperbole. Quite frankly I don't believe most of them.
If the stories are hyperbole at best and you don't believe them, you are calling him and everybody else a liar. If you want to stick your head in the sand and think anybody finding a Leupold scope with an issue is lying, that's your choice. Not the most open minded approach, but whatever makes you happy.

I have many friends that have Leupolds only, and to a person, no one, I repeat, no one has ever had to send theirs in for faulty equipment.
And they all use them as described above?

Oh, might as well post this here: my buddy from Leupold got back to me. He said that if I have a 3 degree cant, in any scope, send it in, because he is sure Leupold will fix that.

What did he say about letting them leave the factory that way in the first place? Since all the tactical guys are just making stuff up, have him look here: Canted Reticles — Serious Problem Needs to Be Addressed « Daily Bulletin

It just makes me wonder about some of the stories I hear on here.
Maybe you don't realize this, but among boards where people actually use their scopes for LR, this is board is really quite friendly to Leupold. Don't go look at the tactical boards. Lots of "hyperbole" on those!

but how many of these people run the turrets up and down hundreds or even thousands of times per year? How many of them regularly shoot to 1000 yds or beyond?

They're also the best thing ever on most hunting boards where 300 yds is "long range" and anything farther is "unethical."

frankly, the opinions of people who don't use a scope the way i do mean very little to me.

If the stories are hyperbole at best and you don't believe them, you are calling him and everybody else a liar. If you want to stick your head in the sand and think anybody finding a leupold scope with an issue is lying, that's your choice. Not the most open minded approach, but whatever makes you happy.

And they all use them as described above?

What did he say about letting them leave the factory that way in the first place? Since all the tactical guys are just making stuff up, have him look here: canted reticles — serious problem needs to be addressed « daily bulletin

maybe you don't realize this, but among boards where people actually use their scopes for lr, this is board is really quite friendly to leupold. Don't go look at the tactical boards. Lots of "hyperbole" on those!

lol!!! :d

I get it Jon, you like Sightron. I GET IT! I wasn't attacking you. I was poking holes in the trolls trying to say their Leupolds were always in the shop, like it is a 1970s Jaguar or something. Easy there.

It is interesting that you claimed Leupold won't fix a cant (if any exist to 3 degrees at all), and now backtrack to 'well maybe they will, but why aren't they leaving the factory better?'. Which is it?? Pretty simple.

The scope I used in the service was a US Optics. That seems to be the favorite of Tactical comp, and LEO/MIL/OGA types. Fine glass. Worth the money for LR Hunting, I don't think so.

I have many friends that have Leupolds only, and to a person, no one, I repeat, no one has ever had to send theirs in for faulty equipment. Several have dented or cracked them and had them replaced for free though.

Oh, might as well post this here: my buddy from Leupold got back to me. He said that if I have a 3 degree cant, in any scope, send it in, because he is sure Leupold will fix that. He put it this way, 'if you are in any way unhappy with your purchase, we will make it right.' It just makes me wonder about some of the stories I hear on here.

Sure you are. I am not saying your lying about all the success you tout from them either. Did not quote or attack in anyway any of your previous post that I felt were pretty much hyperbole....... I think that is how you put it.

My opinion on scopes means as much to me as yours does to you and doesn't make either right.

But as I stated before all Leupold scopes at THIS house went the way of Ebay and for good reason to ME. This way I won't have to mail any of them to your buddy at Leupold.

Calling another long term member a troll for stating an opinion and his experiences.......wow, didn't see that one coming. Now that is a whole new set of issues that takes this to another level. It was uncalled for.

Thanks for your strong opinion anyway. I had best be trolling along now.

Last edited:
I get it Jon, you like Sightron. I GET IT!
Clearly you don't. I have very little use for Sightron unless I take up BR shooting or move to a place with lots of P-dogs as they're all SFP. I don't have to like them at all to recognize the information you were giving about them, based upon never looking through the model in question outdoors, was incorrect.

And now answering everything I say with "I GET IT! You like Sightron!" is...well, aren't you the one who said you didn't like hyperbole?

It is interesting that you claimed Leupold won't fix a cant (if any exist to 3 degrees at all), and now backtrack to 'well maybe they will, but why aren't they leaving the factory better?'. Which is it?? Pretty simple.

I didn't claim a thing. I gave you a link to first-hand accounts from people to which this has happened. It's not my fault if you didn't read them or you assume them to be lying. The second link was a different rant, in addition, from a different group of people since you can't trust those tactical guys. No backtracking, just more information.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.