Need loads for 7mm RUM 180gr Berger

sharpshooterbr

Hi guys. I'd like to hear any of your guys' loads for the 7mm RUM with the 180 gr Berger VLD. I have several powders that I can try with this gun, including Retumbo, H1000, IMR 7828 SSC and RL 22. Feel free to throw in any other pet loads you may have using a different powder. I talked to Walt Berger and he provided me with some QuickLoad data, but the listed maximum's he supplied seem way to low in load density to provide good loads in the 7mm RUM. So I was just wanting to check any firsthand loads against the data he provided. Thanks.

Your powders seem a little fast burning for my taste with the exception of Retumbo. I also think that is why quickloads densities seem low.

I've loaded the 180's with Retumbo, US 869 and H870.

The highest velocity was with US 869 and the best accuracy was with H870.

If you want exact numbers I'll repost later when I get to my notes. It seems 3300 wasn't hard to get to with US 869 with a 30" pipe (just from memory).

i used 99 gr of 872 with 215 primers. only powder i tried. 3250 was comfortable, could go over 3300, also had a 30" barrel. this is a cartridge that you don't want to be close to high pressure!

I have a 7MM Remington ultra mag and several pounds of h870 and the 180 grain burger bullet. I'm just hoping to get some ideas as to which primers I should be going for with this spherical powder and a 32 inch barrel. Thanks guys! I know it is an older powder!! Maybe a magnum primer would help to reduce the temperature sensitivity but I don't know how that would affect other factors. Thanks. But sometimes things are counterintuitive and a slower powder burn (smaller primer spark) might be better for a longer barrel... Thought? Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.