7mm 180gr Berger VLD

sure shot

Does anyone have load data for the 180gr Berger VLD for 7 Rem Mag I can't seem to find anything for 180gr. I'm thinking RL-25 From around 53.5 grains to 68.0 grains or Retumbo From 64.0 grains to 68.5 grains with Norma brass and Rem mag primers. Any ideas? Also does Berger recommend seating the VLD's to the lands? This is my first go around with Berger and must say the 180 VLD is an impressive looking bullet and with a advertised BC of .698 it should do well down range.

I like both Retumbo and H1000 in my 7 mag. The 180 Bergers are a great bullet, Their website suggests seating all VLD's against the lands.

I've found that to be good advice!

I am looking at getting an additional barrel for my Savage 110FP in 7mm Mag (from savageparts.com)and I notice that the twist rate is 1/9.5". The 180 gr. VLD Berger bullet (according to the Berger site) should be shot through a 1/9" barrel. Does the 9.5" barrel work for this bullet? How about the 168 gr. VLD? It calls for a 1/10" barrel, but will the 9.5" barrel work? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Knappy

Kappy,
the 1:9.5 will easily stabalize the 168 berger, and I have it on good word that the 180 Berger stabalizes in a 1:9.5 at STW velocities. Id guess in a 7rem mag, maybe maybe not... don't know. bergers numbers can generally be taken to be conservative guestimates to stabalize bullets under the harshest conditions at sealevel... more or less. Depending on your altitude, and other stuff it might, and it might not. Only one way to know! If you don't want to buy a box of iffy bullets, id be willing to split one with you. Ill be doing a ladder for my 7mm when it gets here, and these are one of the bullets ill be testing.

Abinok,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I won't be able to split the Berger bullets with you right now. I wish I could. First of all, I don't have the barrel yet. It's on my wish list. Second, I will be moving to Germany next week so it will be a little while until I get my rifle over there. I hope Pete Lincoln will teach me a few things about precision shooting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I hope I can let him tinker around with my Savage a little bit. I can't wait to get there!!

Knappy

sureshot,

I currently load 63 grains of RL 25. 56 grains being the low end. I can load to 65.8 but things tend to get a bit warm. 63 grains tightened the group up pretty good so I stayed with that. Retumbo will run between 59.5 and 65.5 grains. H1000 will run between 53.5 and 59.8. All are good powders and gave good results. All three powders were tested starting at mid load and working up in .5 grain increments until signs of pressure (not excessive) were visible. My rifle liked loads that were 3/4' s to 4/5's of the max load tested.

These loads were tested based on bullet profile, weight and actual bearing surface of the bullet against the barrel. Berger bullets in the VLD have less bearing surface than many other bullet makers. Closest comparison to a Berger is Hornady in their spire point boat tail design. All top/max loads in the test rifle are just that - max. Personally I would strongly recommend starting mid load and work loads from there and see how things shape up in your rifle. Bullets were seated just touching the rifling. I used new Winchester brass and Federal GM215M large rifle match primers. Groups ran 1.71 " down to .62" center to center on average through the range of powder used and load density. In my rifle the faster the bullet was pushed, the larger the group. Might be different for yours. All shooting was done at the 100 yard range off a LeadSled DFT on a solid bench.

Hope this helps.

CC

I'm shooting a 7mm STW and it's near impossible to have the Berger bullets touch the rifling and still fit in the magazine. Is there any other way to get these to shoot good groups at a shorter C.O.A.L?

1: Load them on the lands (provided your rifle even likes that) and use it as a single shot.

2: Load them to the max the magazine will allow for reliable feeding and develop your loads using the ladder method.

3: Get a Wyatts box extended magazine.

Into the lands is not always the best solution. With VLD's, it may be the norm but isnt always the case. Sometimes a barrel likes them a bit better if they jump.

I'm using 68 grains of retumbo seated at the lands. in my 7rm with the 180's which is max according to quickload. Aslo the 180's shouldn't have any problem stabilizing in your barrel, they do in mine and it's a 9/1/4. I don't have much of a problem getting under 1/2 moa if I do my part.

Thanks guys I cant wait to get started loading for this new data. I'll let you know how it goes. Once I have a great load developed it will be time to contact Kenton Industries for a new turret. I appreciate any info on 7 Stw and Berger bullets.

rabbitslayer,

kiwi3006 gave some great advice. 168 Bergers in my 7mag are not touching the lands. I started at 5/1000 off and then tried 10/1000. I am shooting one hole 5 shot ragged groups at 100 yards with bullets 7/1000 off the lands. I have a friend that shoots 300 win mag w/210 bergers 25/1000 off the lands and is shooting less than 1/2 moa out to 400 yards. don't dispare. check out the info kiwi3006 is talking about. Your 1/9 twist rate is right where you need to be to stabalize those long 180's. Good shooting.

CC

rabbitslayer,

kiwi3006 gave some great advice. 168 Bergers in my 7mag are not touching the lands. I started at 5/1000 off and then tried 10/1000. I am shooting one hole 5 shot ragged groups at 100 yards with bullets 7/1000 off the lands. I have a friend that shoots 300 win mag w/210 bergers 25/1000 off the lands and is shooting less than 1/2 moa out to 400 yards. don't dispare. check out the info kiwi3006 is talking about. Your 1/9 twist rate is right where you need to be to stabalize those long 180's. Good shooting.

CC

CryptoChief, Thanks I will start at the max my magazine will allow(7 STW) and go from there. I'm not too sure about mag box extensions (altering the reciever) so thats why I want a c.o.a.l. that will shoot good groups. Thanks for the info I feel alot better knowing there are shooters out there shooting Bergers VLD that not seated on the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.