7mmRUM, 180gr. VLD?

mhiltz

I just got my first box of these the other day. They came free with a scope purchase I made. I am going to load a few up soon, but thought I would check this site out for a little load information. I ran a search but it didn't come up with any load info. So I apologize if this is a worn out topic.

I load the 168gr VLD and use US869 with great results. I am wondering what would be a good place to start, 97-98gr? I will try US869, but does anyone else use Retumbo or H1000 for the 180's in their 7RUM? What powders do well in your rifles with this bullet?

I have been loading the 168's at 3.650, and can still use the magazine. (they shoot good there) I'm guessing that the 180's are longer so if that is true should I seat them deeper to keep the ogive in the same spot?

I know that I have to go and shoot, and adjust, and shoot again, to get my rifles shooting. I was just hoping to save a little time, and barrel wear.

Thanks

I often put load data into a file. Looked up 7 RUM and saw that I copied some things that NZ Longranger posted here .

I won't copy all. There were two main points.

1) he said he found only one 7 RUM that would shoot the 180 VLD. The reason is the very long throat.
Now that there is a 180 hybrid that might be a better choice. Give the VLD a try and if nothing else get some load data for your rifle.

2) he prefers to use H50BMG or even faster with US869.

I would use Retumbo, H1000, or 50 bmg the reason why is US869 is not an extreme powder and is more tempature sensitive than the rest.

I just got done developing a load for a friend's 7RUM. 88.5 gr. Retumbo 3.65 COAL, Remington 9.5 M primers. This was with the 180 HVLD. Got it to shoot 1.5" high by 3 inch wide groups at 400 yds. and decided that was good enough for him. Don't know the velocity, but I would defenitely try the retumbo.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.