Need Idaho legal muzzle loader recomendations????

ODAVID

I know their are several individuals here from Idaho that have experience with Idaho muzzle loading. I would like to discuss rifle recommendations and helpful loads to start off with. I have older experience using a traditional percussion in 50. cal. with maxi conical bullets but would like to buy something more modern and hopefully easier to clean.

Helpful advice is always welcome

Thanks in advance
odavid

Depends on the area and season that you plan to hunt. If you want to hunt the ''short range weapons'' areas a shotgun with sluggs or buckshot, muzzleloader, in-line muzzleloader, flintlock, long bow, recurve bow, compound bow etc are legal. I belive durring ''rifle'' season you can use a muzzleloader of just about any type, but muzleloader only seasons require the rifle to be loaded from the muzle, some require no pelletised powder, and have ''exposed ignition'' if I remember correctly. This means NO 209 primers wich rules out most all the inlines. If you dont want to shoot traditional roundball etc, get a fast twist bbl and you can shoot connicles and sabbots. But youll have to look at the regs to see if sabbots are legal.
Ive hunted Idaho a couple times and LOVE IT, but its been a couple years since Ive gone thru the regs. Lyman makes a nice inline called the Mustang I think, and I own the Lyman Plains Hunter in a 50 cal. love it, but Id like to get one with a fast twist bbl so I could shoot maxi balls or sabbots. My current one wont even shoot minni balls, its a round ball only shooter.
I shoot a .490 round ball over 100gr of FFG with a .015 prelubed patch (overkill on powder, but its accurate). I can spin the 3'' spinner gong at 100yds consistantly. And have taken 3 Mule Deer with it. Old school rocks, but an inline of some kind would be a treat for reaching out there in those units that allowed them.

Contact Idaho Fish and Game in our region the number is 208-324-4350, they
will be able to answer your questions......

THANKS GUYS,

You pointed me in the direction. I was hoping for specific rifle recomendations but perhaps I need to call Fish and game to narrow down the selections for the particular area I want to hunt. Then I will ask about specific rifle choices and load to get me moving further along.

Thanks Guys again.

Any one else out there from Idaho???????

If your serious about an inline, I think T.C. is probably considered one of the best, top of the line production guns out there. Give em' a look.
Royinidaho, and Elkaholic, are from Idaho. There's a bunch more too, but not too many folks prowel the Black powder thread.

If you are interested in muzzleloader only seasons here in ID you are gonna have to hunt with a traditional style rifle. No sabbots, only lead projectiles, exposed ignition-percussion cap or flint lock, no scopes, loose black or other substitute powders. In Lines are OK for "Short Range Weapon" seasons only. Sorry ODAVID, but ID is a traditional state when it comes to black powder and I for one am glad we are!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.