muzzle loader muzzle brake

No. The brake will be larger than the crown in the barrel. The sabot/bullet should move freely through the brake and stop at the crown. However if you're planning on using loose propellant, then you'll need a method to get the propellant through the brake. I have a small funnel, which I inserted a small piece of clear tubing on, about 2 - 2.5" long.

Myself....... a radial. Tactical brakes will make people dislike you, thoroughly, at any range. Brakes, regardless are loud.
Do you find it makes quite a difference with recoil and muzzle jump?
Thanks

Do you find it makes quite a difference with recoil and muzzle jump?
Thanks

With my rifle? Absolutely! I shoot an Ultimate Firearms BP Xpress, the daddy to the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader (RUM).
Shooting near maximum charges without the brake, the recoil is VIOLENT. Very tolerable with the brake.

I installed a clamp on from http://wittmachine.net/
2 years ago made an unbelievable difference on my ml's recoil. I shoot a smokeless but I believe a smoke gun would react the same. As Encore said makes them much louder. I hunt with electric ears now I didn't before

With my rifle? Absolutely! I shoot an Ultimate Firearms BP Xpress, the daddy to the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader (RUM).
Shooting near maximum charges without the brake, the recoil is VIOLENT. Very tolerable with the brake.
Thanks for the feedback
I think I will try one

You have to be careful with what brake you install on a muzzle loader, sabots can jamb and have issues if the holes are to large, no way would I install a baffle brake on a muzzle loader!! I do install quite a few Harrels muzzle loader brakes which have a different design, I've gotten a lot of good feed back on them.
Smoke is part of the deal, learning to deal with it is easier, like setting up to shoot with a little cross breeze.

You have to be careful with what brake you install on a muzzle loader, sabots can jamb and have issues if the holes are to large, no way would I install a baffle brake on a muzzle loader!! I do install quite a few Harrels muzzle loader brakes which have a different design, I've gotten a lot of good feed back on them.
Smoke is part of the deal, learning to deal with it is easier, like setting up to shoot with a little cross breeze.
Thanks

I installed a clamp on from http://wittmachine.net/
2 years ago made an unbelievable difference on my ml's recoil. I shoot a smokeless but I believe a smoke gun would react the same. As Encore said makes them much louder. I hunt with electric ears now I didn't before
What have you found to be the easiest way to load the powder and sabot/bullets with the Witt brake. Just received mine. Plan on using back in Ohio in a few weeks. Thanks!

What have you found to be the easiest way to load the powder and sabot/bullets with the Witt brake. Just received mine. Plan on using back in Ohio in a few weeks. Thanks!
funnel.
Most all custom builders provide one if you purchase a brake.
LR Customs T-Rex brake is the absolute best for hard recoiling rifles

I must be missing something in this. I don't see any reason to put a brake on a ML unless your teeny bopper daughter is shooting it.

ML's by their very nature have less felt recoil than a centerfire does because the rate of powder burn isn't as fast.

Never 'felt' the need to have one. Still don't, but then I don't see having a brake on anything but the largest magnum calibers anyway.

JMO.

I must be missing something in this. I don't see any reason to put a brake on a ML unless your teeny bopper daughter is shooting it.

ML's by their very nature have less felt recoil than a centerfire does because the rate of powder burn isn't as fast.

Never 'felt' the need to have one. Still don't, but then I don't see having a brake on anything but the largest magnum calibers anyway.

JMO.

I can assure you, these heavy recoiling rifles are no comparison to what you're used to. Take a BP Xpress with 180grs of T7 and a 300 or 325gr bullet and shoot that without a brake. When you get your ship up righted, you'll know why brakes are used. The recoil is nothing less than violent.

Think I'll just keep on shooting my 209 inline and be happy but around here, the Accura is plenty enough ML.

And that's great that some are satisfied with what they have. There's a whole world out there with different types of muzzleloaders. I shoot regularly to 500yds, but others are happy with sighting in for just 50yds.

Think I'll just keep on shooting my 209 inline and be happy but around here, the Accura is plenty enough ML.
I, like you, use an inline magnum shooting 120 grains by volume 209 but fact is we are basically limited to 250 yards and in (I personally wouldn't go beyond 200). These other type muzzleloaders are slinging 275-325 grain bullets from 2500-2900fps using ULTRA-magnum loads allowing people to hunt long range distances similar to centerfire rifles. The recoil from them is nothing short of violent and probably much greater than even your magnum centerfire rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.