Need help!!!!

younghunter, i am a little guy, i am 4'10" 110 lbs and i can comfortably shoot my Dads 14 lbs Savage 110 fcp hs 338 lapua.

The only problen i see with the 338 Lapua is since you dont reload there isnt much out there for hunting ammo. Yes, some people hunt with the 300 grain SMK and 300 grain Berger OTM (I know i am going to get chewed out for this) but neither of those bullets were designed for hunting.

I dont mean to affend anyone who uses either of these bullets for hunting i am just stating fact that they werent designed for it.

Outlaw: can you explain the whole reticle thing and how it may affect me? I don't know much about that topic

:) I was making the assumption that the scope you suggested had a Mil based reticle (TMR or Mil-Dot). The M1 dials are MOA. It can be confusing to dial your elevation in MOA & hold your wind in Mils.... Check out the below thread for some more info...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/what-system-moa-mil-do-you-use-85233/

younghunter, i am a little guy, i am 4'10" 110 lbs and i can comfortably shoot my Dads 14 lbs Savage 110 fcp hs 338 lapua.

The only problen i see with the 338 Lapua is since you dont reload there isnt much out there for hunting ammo. Yes, some people hunt with the 300 grain SMK and 300 grain Berger OTM (I know i am going to get chewed out for this) but neither of those bullets were designed for hunting.

I dont mean to affend anyone who uses either of these bullets for hunting i am just stating fact that they werent designed for it.

Nope they sure weren't. Then again, the 2013 Shelby GT500 wasn't designed to get over 20mpg either :D but it does...

Nope they sure weren't. Then again, the 2013 Shelby GT500 wasn't designed to get over 20mpg either :D but it does...
Outlaw6.0 heres my plan, i am going to use the 280 Barnes LRX until it fails me, if it does fail me i will switch to the 300 grain berger. :)

What does MIL and MOA stand for exactly?

When you have time, read through the thread I hyperlinked above. All they stand for (Milliradians & Minute Of Angle) are different angles of measurement.

Outlaw6.0 heres my plan, i am going to use the 280 Barnes LRX until it fails me, if it does fail me i will switch to the 300 grain berger. :)

You are going to be waiting for a while :D The LRX is a BAD mama... I'm switching my Lazzeroni over to the 175LRX ....

i am going to shoot into wet newpaper with a 1.5" board infront at impact velocities of 1400 and 1600 fps and see how much they expand if at all. At 1600 im sure they will expand but at 1400 i dont know.

I read the thread. All I really got from what I read is people in the military tend to like the MIL better and MIL is better all around because you can use it for long range or just hunting.

The gun I want has a built in 19 mm scope rail would the scope I picked out fit hat

I read the thread. All I really got from what I read is people in the military tend to like the MIL better and MIL is better all around because you can use it for long range or just hunting.

The gun I want has a built in 19 mm scope rail would the scope I picked out fit hat

I have zero idea what a 19mm scope rail is, I can't help you there. Lets try this approach.

On my 6mm-284 I am running a 5.5-22x50 NightForce w/NP-R2 reticle & 1/4 MOA turrets. So, 1/4MOA is approx 1/4in per click at 100yds, 1 MOA @ 100yds is 1.05". To reach my 1060yd target it takes me approx 22.5 MOA (IIRC) or 90 clicks to zero at that range.

On my 338RUM I am running a 6.5-20x50 FFP Leupold w/TMR reticle & 1/10 Mil turrets. 1/10 Mil is .36" @ 100yds, 1 Mil @ 100yds is 3.6" or 36" at 1000yds.

Same target, my dope or hold is somewhere around 7.3 Mils (can't remember exactly). On a 1/10 mil system that is 73 clicks even though it drops 40 more inches than the 6mm.

Does that help? or is it clear as mud?

I have zero idea what a 19mm scope rail is, I can't help you there. Lets try this approach.

On my 6mm-284 I am running a 5.5-22x50 NightForce w/NP-R2 reticle & 1/4 MOA turrets. So, 1/4MOA is approx 1/4in per click at 100yds, 1 MOA @ 100yds is 1.05". To reach my 1060yd target it takes me approx 22.5 MOA (IIRC) or 90 clicks to zero at that range.

On my 338RUM I am running a 6.5-20x50 FFP Leupold w/TMR reticle & 1/10 Mil turrets. 1/10 Mil is .36" @ 100yds, 1 Mil @ 100yds is 3.6" or 36" at 1000yds.

Same target, my dope or hold is somewhere around 7.3 Mils (can't remember exactly). On a 1/10 mil system that is 73 clicks even though it drops 40 more inches than the 6mm.

Does that help? or is it clear as mud?
Yes a lot, so they are almost like different units of measurements

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.