need help with rifle choice for elk and muleys

unclefish

Would like to build a bolt action for Colorado elk and mule deer hunt.
Need to better my odds when I go there for 5 day hunt
My 2 current guns I bring with me are Ruger M77 Hawkeye all weather 300 win mag with Leupold VX6 3-18 with CDS completely stock. Tikka T3 lite stainless 308 with Bushnell 3-9 completely stock.
I hunt private property usually for elk and national forest for mule deer. My Ruger with scope weighs 9 lbs 6 ounces. I currently load all my own ammo setup for 300 win mag and 308. Last year had 200 yard shot this year was 100 ft. So I would like be confident that I can shoot out to 800 yards but still shoot up close in timber. Is this possible with 1 gun or should I lower my yardage standard. Keep reading parts for a nice build should be around 2500. But where do I go from here. Would like to keep a lighter gun build so I can hike into the mountains. But not an ultra lite don't need to be kicked by a mule. I do like stocks with a molded in cheek piece. I am an all weather guy rain snow whatever so I would like something that will not rust. On a muzzle brake is it better to have a thread on or one built into barrel. Side ports or all around. When u buy an action you need to have barrel fitted and aligned to it. Right. I am sure I will have more questions. If there is anybody that hunts like this and can give me some hints would be greatly appreciated. Or can point me in the right direction for my build. Thanks MJ

A lot of the questions you have are based on personal preference. You can also do a lot of research on this site using the search function to get opinions on a lot of things.

I would tell you that your current rifles might already be able to do the trick. It all depends on how accurate they are. Have you done load development and shrunk your groups down to a certain size? If so, how accurate? Have you tried shooting either of them longer range?

Like cohunter14 said, lots of your questions will be based on personal preference. I have thought a lot about building a similar rifle (deer/elk combo) and here is what I came up with based on my personal preference:
1) Caliber - (a) choice 1 - 280 AI to shoot 168 gr. Berger Hunting VLDs; (b) choice 2 - 300WSM
2) Rem 700 Action - accuratized/blueprinted; bolt fluted and face trued
3) Bartlien #3 or #3B contour, finished at 26" (lots of great barrel manufacturers)
4) McMillian Game Scout Stock (Manner's makes great stocks too)
5) Action/Barrel coating - Cerakote to protect against ALL elements
6) Muzzle Break - Vais Break
7) Timney Trigger (or trigger job on Rem 700 stock)

Good luck with what you decide.

Started picking out some pieces
Like McMillan hunter stock
Like stiller tactical 300 action
Have my hart set on 300 win mag
Have no clue on how to pick out a barrel what # size and can it be straight cut fluted also cerakoted to match that action. Look likes 26 inch is pretty good alround length.

A lot of the questions you have are based on personal preference. You can also do a lot of research on this site using the search function to get opinions on a lot of things.

I would tell you that your current rifles might already be able to do the trick. It all depends on how accurate they are. Have you done load development and shrunk your groups down to a certain size? If so, how accurate? Have you tried shooting either of them longer range?

Yes both guns did powder development. The tikka has bullet lenght just short anuff so they fit in mag. Ruger have not had chance to yet. Only tested tikka to 200 yards. Ruger only got to shoot out to 500 yard s at 18 steel plate . Nailed it ever shot. Our range here is only 200 yards . I think I just found a sand pit to shoot at but they don't want me shooting there till after deer season.

If you are hitting an 18" steel plate on every shot at 500 yards, you are off to a good start. How big of groups are you getting at 200 yards? If you can get your gun to be sub MOA (under 2" at 200 yards), you could have all you need. The idea would be to get your shooting and gun accurate enough to hold that MOA or sub MOA number out to your 800 yard goal (8" groups at 100 yards).

Not trying to talk you out of a custom, but simply pointing out that the reason people get customs are for accuracy and sometimes you can get that accuracy out of a manufactured rifle.

sounds to me like you have the right equipment. I think you just need to get out and practice a little bit. Maybe attend a long range shooting school.

I just didn't want to dump alot of money into a gun that u can't easily buy parts and modify over time. I am not crazy about the Mauser style action in the ruger anyways. Just thinking why not start off with something real good then build myself up to it. Gonna spend a small fortune on ammo anyways. Might as well be 1 gun I will have for a long time. I have a friend interested in my ruger when I want to sell. Time I get a muzzle brake trigger and stock and pay for it to be put on tough it would be wiser to spend on parts for a custom.

Sounds like you got the equipemt and have the ability. Take yer best shooting rifle and limit yer shot to what ya know you make/made in practice in given wind conditions.

smag~

I am building a 300 WM for an upcoming elk hunt also. Here are my specs I have set on:

Stiller TAC 300
Mcmillan A3
Bartlein m24 10 twist
700 BDL bottom metal
Atlas Bi-pod

I had to make decisions to choose weight vs function. While this will be mostly for an elk hunt, it will be used more for hunting those steel targets instead so I decided to suck it up when I hump it around on the hunt. You can save some weight by making a few small changes but this is what I chose.

I can't decide on glass yet. Mainly due to funds but looks like I will be going with a NSX 5-25. Really want a S&B 5-20 though :D

I will be loading some 210 VLDs and some of 230s also to see what performs the best.

Thanks just checked out that atlas bipod. Like it. I am still stuck on a stock. Only thing I found I like so far that I got to hold is bell Carlson with the check riser. Not many shops around here have any custom guns that would have stocks or even finished guns with them on it. Keep going back to the McMillan hunter stock and looking. Another guy said that the sendero has h-s stock . Need to find one around here to hold.

pulled the trigger on a new build. I will do a new build thread when I start getting pictures.
I ordered
stiller predator l/a
bell Carlson Alaskan II stock
jewell trigger
muller works #4 fluted barrel chambered in a 300 winmag
csr side port magnum muzzle brake

I need to start thinking about scope-base-rings . is there a base I can buy that if I wanted to shoot long range with a higher power scope then change out to lower power to go brush hunting with. have 1 gun 2 scope and ring setups. or is this a bad idea taking chance that scope would be off during switch. thought I saw someone doing this with a picattinny rail setup.

Yes, you can do that with the picatinny rail. Pop the rings off and put the other rings on, shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.