Need help with pressure problems

Give me a little bit and I will post pictures of the ruptures. I'm at a farm auction right now.

image.jpg

That was the longest split. There was another shorter one on the opposite side. This was the stuck case that the bolt would not lift or pull back. I had to use a brass hammer to tap the bolt up and tap the bolt back.
No more rounds fired after this.

Your right it's a 2 and not a 3. I doubt the brass would stretch that far. I was just amazed at how much it was growing in the chamber when fired. It was suggested to use the 40 brass to figure the growth from new to fired brass.

image.jpg
Got my Sendero back today. Remington had it for one week. Hopefully they fixed her up and put her in working order. I will get the base and scope back on and shoot her. Her is the work order.

I would still check it with a set of no-go gauge and go-gauge before I would fire it. Looks like they found a couple of other things as well

Sad thing is I have spent the past two days load development with this rifle. 3-4" groups seem to be the norm. Today I worked up a couple of loads using the 123 scenar. Got one group down to 2.5".
Never seen anything like it.
I'm going to try one more powder and if no luck I'm going to look into having it rebarreled.
This gun was brought new November 2017. It's serial number begins with RR.

Have you rechecked the torque on the rifle. Action screws should be set at 65 inch pounds. Also make sure you clean the barrel for copper you should be having to rebreak in the barrel they said they reset headspace in the pic you sent.

I would still replace that trigger with a Timney, Jewell, or Trigger Tech before shooting it. Those factory lawyer-proof XMP triggers are garbage.

So today I had a glimmer of hope. I loaded up some rounds with IMR 4831 with the 123 Scenar bullet. Had a vertical string group about a 1.5-1.75".
I bumped the load up .2 and got two in one hole and one to the right about a inch. The off hole was a bad trigger break. The trigger has to be 6 lbs or so.
So I leave the rifle on the range and walk back up to my shop and load three more rounds exactly the same as before. Three good shots and I had a horizontal group about two inches across.
I stopped for the day. This morning I loaded up several rounds using the 129 SST. There was a little hope there too.
I scrub the barrel really good after 7-10 firings. It appears the rifle does its best really clean . The fouler round goes high then the rest fall into a double ought buck pattern under the fouler.
I annealed a couple handfuls of brass and that seemed to help.
I'm going to check the stock and bolt torque tomorrow. I noticed the front of the stock is touching the barrel. It was touching before I sent it back to Remington. I wanted to see if the addressed that and they did not. Go figure!
In between shots today I found a good article from this site about what to look for when you have vertical strings. The article was from a famous bench rest shooter.
I realize my trigger is a big issue. So is my stock. Not sure how much pressure the stock is putting on the barrel.
I'm not a quitter but this rifle has convinced me Remington is going bankrupt for a reason.

Doesn't take much pressure on barrel. Scrape stock of burs. If still not floated shim it up with washer bed it. Cut wax away from trigger screw loosen it until it breaks better, still not as good as replacement. All will probably void warranty. Next step get a good Smith

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.