Need help with pressure problems

netman

I bought a Remington Sendero.264 Win Mag from a gentleman over on accurate shooter a couple weeks ago. He told me that included with the rifle was a new set of Hornady competition dies and 50 pieces of brass. 23 once fired and 27 new brass. Brass is Hornady. The 23 pieces of once fired brass was the only rounds fired through this rifle. The rifle looked brand new unfired to me. Really nice.
I noticed I did not have a shell holder for the 264 and drove to the gun shop to buy one. I took a piece of fired brass with me. I noticed the primer was flattened not severely but flattened. I looked at the other pieces of brass and seen the primers were flattened too.
Upon arriving at the gun shop my buddy was working and I told him what I needed. He was walking and stopped and said did you see this primer is flattened? I buy the shell holder and head home.
I took the new primed brass and chamfered the case mouth getting them ready for loading.
I had researched and found Retumbo to be highly regarded for the 264. I bought a bottle of Retumbo.
I went to Hodgdon and looked up a starting point. I had bought Hornady 143 eldx, Nosler 140 partitions and have Berger 140 vld on the way.
I loaded up three rounds of 143 eldx with 59.7 grains of Retumbo which is the starting point. I loaded up groups of three in .5 grain increments.
I have a 300 yard range in my backyard.
I fired the first round and the brass was stuck in the chamber. My bolt would open and pull back but no shell. After a minute or so I cycled the bolt and pulled out the brass. The primer was flattened. I fired the other two with the same issues as the first. The bolt was not sticky but would not pull the brass out until I waited for a couple minutes.
I had figured out the seating depth and had seated the bullet to work out of the magazine so there was plenty of jump or free bore.
The group I shot was about 6-7". I had good clean breaks with the heavy factory trigger.
I fired the second set of loads that was next in sequence. Two bullets were about a half inch apart and the third was about three inches above the others keyholed. Bolt was not pulling the brass out.
I thought maybe it was the new brass. So I went to my reloading bench and FL sized several pieces of brass and primed with federal 215M. I loaded three with 143 eldx and three with 140 partitions. I loaded both with starting loads of Imr 4831. Now with this powder the brass did not stick however the groups looked like shotgun patterns.
So I thought maybe the rifle does not like 140's and wants a lighter bullet.
I drove to the gun shop and bought a box of 129 SST.
Went to the bench pulled up Hodgdon website plugged in the bullet and Retumbo. Loaded up three with their starting load and three the next step. Fired the first three with difficulty in getting them out of the chamber. The primers were flattened but not bad. The next set of rounds I fired one shot and could barely lift the bolt but could not pull it back. I had to use a soft blow hammer to get it opened by lightly tapping the bolt handle.
So I go up to my bench and measure the fired brass. They measured 2.502/3. So I don't think the brass is stretching.
Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm going to bench this rifle until I get the pressure figured out.
Would you suggest I drop down below Hodgdons starting point?
Thanks in advance.
Netman

I don't have a chronograph....yet.
I thought the extractor might be part of the problem but not sure. I actually pulled the bolt and looked it over and took a Q tip and cleaned around on it.
One thing I forgot to mention was the recoil was stout.

Primers are not always the best indication of pressure. Did the brass show signs of flow into the plunger hole? How is the tightness on the primer pockets? I have seen poor extraction on on Remington's due to bad extractors.

Chances are you have a 9" twist which could be causing the accuracy issues with the 140g bullets.

I sounds to me like the barrel may be worn and causing early pressure signs. Did you get an indication of how many rounds were down the tube?

Did you completely clean this rifle prior to shooting?

Steve

Measure headspace from new to fired case (base to shoulder using a .420 headspace gauge in a Hornady comparator set). I bet there is a big difference in new to fired, meaning a headspace issue. Also, when you resized the brass, how much did you bump back the shoulder? I know, belter magnums seat off the belt, but you still can have headspace issues if you are bumping the shoulder too far back. I just did load development for a Rem Sendero in .264WM. The new Nosler brass was about .020" shorter headspace than fired and showed slight signs of pressure after the first firing. I bumped the shoulder .002", and the same charge weights were smooth and no pressure signs. It was also a 1:9" twist as RockyMtnMT suggested, so I skipped the 140s and shot a 130 VLD in it into the mid .2s.

Plus, I hate Hornady brass. It sucks.

My cousin also bought a Sendero in .300RUM, and extraction was an issue, no matter how light of a load. Had a smith replace the extractor which is just pinned in, and viola', extraction issue was gone.

2B32EEBA-7265-425B-AE1B-A3293B87B374.jpeg
7F014EB7-198F-437D-909F-7999398997B1.jpeg
EEECB539-4E82-431C-B039-15811CB347BB.jpeg

The top picture shows the rim diameter .528 on new unfired brass. I pulled up the info on the case and it shows base diameter as .515 edit..,Sorry I pulled out my old Speer manual and it shows.532 case head diameter.
Second picture shows the last round I fired that had to be tapped out vs a new unfired case.
I measured a new case, fired case and a FL case right above the belt.
New measures.506
FL. .509
Fired. .512
Third picture shows primer pocket. They are good and tight.
I measured cases from the base to the shoulder. They measured 2.023. Fired, resized and new all measured the same.

Last edited:
What is the case head measurement from fired to unfired?

Looking a pics is difficult, but I do not see anything that looks unusual. No ejector mark, the primer still has round edges. There is a slight crater on the primer, but many rifles do this at any charge weight.

Steve

Sounds like a broken extractor to me as well. I recently bought a 783 that broke on the 23rd shot from new. Secondarily, you may have a carbon doughnut in the throat that is causing your pressure issue. Clean it very throughly and they starting closer to the mid-point of the published data. Lastly, recycle the Hornady brass it's just slightly better than nothing at all.
On a slightly different vein, I've found Retumbo to be a powder that either works very well in 264win or just doesn't. I have had several 264win over the years, three currently and parts for the fourth going to the smith in May. Feel free to PM.

The guy (Jandy) I bought the rifle from said he bought the rifle new and had only fired 23 total rounds through the rifle. When the rifle arrived in my hands you would have thought it was new unfired. This rifle was spotless inside and out. I believe what he told me. He said he worked up a Nosler 130 load that shot okay. What little I shot yesterday I cleaned it real good afterwards. Then later I took out the loads of Hornady 129 SST fired one shot and the brass was stuck. I could barely get the bolt to lift. I tapped a couple of times on the bolt with a soft hammer and it flew open.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.