need help with my mil dot scope?

jeff28

I just got my new vortex viper 6.5X20.44 mildot scope. It's mounted to a 7mm mag, now I've never used a mil dot scope before can anyone help me out. Should I invest in a ballistics program or the mil dot master, I'll be using the setup for hunting ranges out to 600 yrads. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Practice, practice, practice. I'm a geek about software and own all kinds of it both desktop and portable, but at the end of the day you don't NEED to buy software because there are plenty of good freebee web based calculators out there. It's just a nice to have. No matter what, you are always better off building your own drop table from empirical data.
A good practice tool for mil dot ranging is available at Long Range Shooting Simulation Demo A few words on why this tool is limited in it's usefulness: you do not have to worry about steadying the rifle and the target sizes are known exactly. Even with that, you will find you can still get it wrong. These are the things that make a mil-dot or any range finding reticle only a good estimate. Once you get the concept down pat with the software, it becomes second nature as far as making a range calc and then you are ready to start using your rifle to practice with. One of the things I hardly ever see mentioned with these is up and down hill shooting and how it effectively makes your target smaller and how this angular difference plays into using a mildot for range estimation. Most don't shoot more than 5 degrees up or down anyway so for many it is not an issue, just something to be aware of.
If you really plan to shoot or hunt in field conditions at unknown distances, I'd recommend a laser range finder, these have some serious user limitations too though if you don't understand how they work and what the beam size is at a given range.

I plan on buying a rangefinder , I no that practice is the best way. If I invest in a ballistics program will that tell me what mark to use at what range. I only have acess to a 300 yd range.

You need to find a range with all the distance you plan on shooting in the field,dont depend on any softwar to make that shot without knowing your rifle/load.Zero the rifle however you want it and shoot ity at 100 yard intervals until you have each yardage/dot dialed in.If using an adjustable power scope make sure you keep it on whatever power you practice at,changing to power will change your POI.As said above,PRACTICE until these ranges become second nature,a cheat sheet on the side of the rifle with your ranges and dots is an excellent tool.gun)

I live in ca and I know of one range I can shoot out to 300 yds, after that you have to be a member. It's 100 $ a yr and three hour away.

Something that most don't realize is that Federal land like National Forests and BLM land is open to hunting and shooting as long as you are acting responsibly. Surely, If you live in California you have some closer than three hours... and it's free (minus the Federal income taxes you pay towards it each year). Get a target stand and a laser range finder and you are in business for some schooling at shooting long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.