need help picking out youth rifle

plumcrazy

Well my son wants to start deer hunting with me, he is 7 years old 3'8" 40-50# and 9 1/2" of pull. I am stuck on what rifle to get that will last him for awhile. I was leaning towards a varmit rifle so the extra weight will reduce the recoil (he will be shooting out a shoot house). I also plan on getting started with reloading so maybe i can work up a low recoil round. Any help would be great.

If you can find an old 788 Remngton in .243 it wouls serve him well. Load some light bullets for low recoil. The are short barreled and should be very inexpensive. The ones I have been around shot very well.

Jeff gun)

Remington makes a youth model 243 with a 20" barrel. The length of pull might still be too long for him (12.5"). You could cut the stock down and progressively glue it back on as he grows.

You could also just take a regular SPS and cut the stock down too.

In terms of ammo, Remington also makes a reduced recoil load for the 243 or you could make some light handloads.

I even think a youth model rem 700 would do just fine.and in a 260rem it would really be a good loadable case to load up/down.but hey this is just my .02 worth.

I even think a youth model rem 700 would do just fine.and in a 260rem it would really be a good loadable case to load up/down.but hey this is just my .02 worth.

I agree with Johnboy 110%. I have already decided to start my kids off with a .260. I think that it is a better choice than the .243.

-I don't feel that the .260 recoils much more than the .243. To me, the recoil difference is barely noticeable.

-You also have a little more room for error due to the heavier bullet. I know that bullet placement always trumps foot pounds, but we are talking about a youngster who is just starting out. They may not be have the patience or the experience to pass on a poor shot. Also, their nerves may get to them at the moment of truth. This happened to me more than once when I was first starting out. Luckily, those shots ended in clean misses.

-The 6.5mm bullets suitable for hunting also have high BC bullets. This can aid the younger hunter when shots are extended. Most likely, a long shot for them would be under 400 yards. But even at 300 yards, some adjustment needs to be made with a 200 yard zero or a low hit will occur.

In my eyes, the ultimate youth rifle is a Remington Model 7 or 700 with a short stock in a .260 with handloaded 120, 130, or 140gr bullets.

Also, just my 2 cents!

Thanks for the replies..... I think I will end up cutting the stock to fit him unless I can find a stock like the howa axiom that is adjustable...... how do yall feel about getting a heavy varmit rifle with the stock cut to fit him vs an actually youth rifle.

Last edited:
The weight is the only thing I would be concerned with. It may get to be too much unless he will be doing his hunting from a stand where he can get a good rest. That would reduce the recoil significantly.

I 2nd the .260 Rem vote, Remington Mod 7 Youth. When he outgrows the youth stock it can be replaced easily enough with a full size stock. I've still got the Mod 7 in 7mm-08 that was my first centerfire only now it wears a B&C Carbalite stock and is still a fine shooter.

well I was dead set on getting the 260 untill I talked to my dad and he told me that he found a rem 700 243 for a good deal and the axiom stock would grow with my kids I have 3 so here are my options #1 get the 243 and buy the axiom stock for it (I really like the fact that it has adjustable Length-of-Pull from 11.25 to 15.25 Inches) the gun, scope and stock will end up around $500 but how will that set up shoot or option #2 get a 700 action and build a 260 to put on the axiom but dont know the cost of a build like that.....................what are yall thoughts

I really like the 260 rem but the cost of putting a barrel on a 700 would run you at least the $500. If you keep your shots inside 300 yards and the shooter puts a 95 to 100 gr bullet from a 243 where it is supposed to go the deer will be dead. I have killed quite a good number of deer with a 243 over the years. Never had to shoot one twice.

well I was dead set on getting the 260 untill I talked to my dad and he told me that he found a rem 700 243 for a good deal and the axiom stock would grow with my kids I have 3 so here are my options #1 get the 243 and buy the axiom stock for it (I really like the fact that it has adjustable Length-of-Pull from 11.25 to 15.25 Inches) the gun, scope and stock will end up around $500 but how will that set up shoot or option #2 get a 700 action and build a 260 to put on the axiom but dont know the cost of a build like that.....................what are yall thoughts

Although some good arguments have been made for the 260, I think the 243 is a better choice - especially if you have any girls. Generally speaking, they cannot stand recoil (I have a 12 year old niece and she won't shoot a 20ga shotgun because of the recoil, but she will shoot my varmint weight 223).

I'm not familiar with the axiom stock, but it sounds like a nice solution that will adjust as the kids grow.

My concern with a 'regular' 243 rather than the youth model would be the barrel length. With a 22 or 24" barrel, it would be mighty front heavy when the stock is set at 11.25 (which is still too long for your little boy). If he were to loosen up on the buttstock at all, the gun might tip forward awkwardly. That's why I like the youth models with the 20" barrels for the young-ins.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.