Need help picking a rifle

gremcat

Ok guys need some advice I curently have a 12 fv in .223 custom built with all kinds of goodies I also have a 93 fv .22 mag.SO I have about 1500 to spend on a rifle and 600 on the scope.I am pretty sure the scope will be a leupold mark 2 tactical.I am stumped on the gun I thought about changing the barrel on the .223 to a .308 and getting a stag super varminter with the half moa guarantee .Very tempting but I have never owned a ar and don't know the first thing about maintaining them .The other thoughts are a remington 700 xcr long range in .308 ,a 700p in .308 a tikka t3 tactical in .308 or a sub moa vanguard in .257 weatherby mag.The last one is kinda out there but would be fun.I am just starting to get gear together to handload and thought since the .308 is tried and true I can get a wealth of knowledge on it.I should state that I shoot to 300 yds and might soon have the oppurtunity to go further with this new 1500 yd range being built near raleigh.I also will use this rifle for deer ,pigs,etc.But the majority of it is for paper punching.However I have a .223 and a 22 mag so probaby not a lot of paper punching.I use the .223 mostly.ANy help would be great .I thought of a f /tr but own 2 savages already.Mostly just trying to replace the model 70 7 rm with a fun to shoot gun.

Also thinking of the zeiss conquest 6.5-20 x50 with target turrets.It's a little more expensive and was wonderin if the difference in clarity makes up for price.One more thing to keep in mind is I am 6' 3" with a 14 and 3/4" lop so comfort is also important.

I would definetly spend the extra money on the Zeiss vs. the leupold. I have two 4.5-14 leupolds and neither compare in clarity to the 6.5-20 conquest.

Chris

In considering rifle and scope, I would recommend that you match the capability of one with the other. A very general rule of thumb is to spend about the same on each. But the bottom line would be to determine how far you want to shoot and what rifle as well as what scope will get you there? And do you want to just punch paper or are you going to take into the field. mountains etc, and kill game with it. These considerations should help you decide.

If you buy a rifle capable of 1000 yd accuracy for $1500 and you top it with a $600 scope capable of 500 yd shooting you're not getting the most from your rifle.

There are a lot of good threads here on rifles and scopes that should help.

I've got it narrowed down to fn spr a3 or 700 P and adding a jewell with the zeiss or leupold mostly for hunting but also for some paper punching and the possibility of shooting long range at a few new places I am looking at basically I can get one more rifle now before the fiance cuts me off but we just got a house and are getting married in 8 mos so I kinda understand I just spent about 2000 on a savage setup and 500 give or take on a .22 mag setup so I figure one more 3000 toy this year is reasonable:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.