Need help picking a buck before season closes.

Metzger

Muzzleloader has started here in Colorado and closes 9/19. I have several bucks I have my eyes on. The problem is I am teriable at gauging a great caliber buck. Location 1 has a wide 3x3 no I guards, 4x4 one I guard and 4x4 without velvet. The second video location 2 has a good 3x3 no I guards In a super tough hunting area let alone a slim chance to get a ethical shot distance. Let me know what I am looking at. Screenshot_20210909-203904_Gallery.jpg20210910_112146.jpgScreenshot_20210909-200208_Photos.jpg
Videos are better.

That big boy in location 2 looks pretty good to me . I'd say your looking at mule deer steaks there. Although the upper deer in location 1 ain't no slouch

Must be nice, I've been out scouting for cow elk for 4 days prior and 2.5 days hunting and all I can find is doe (can't even get a doe tag in this unit, probably why)

My only experience with Muley's was to shoot the one that the guide said to shoot at. With whitetails I hunt a trophy plantation that requires a minimum 14" antler spread. I gauge this as being at or beyond the ears. I also look at thickness at the base and points.

Location 1's 3 point looks to be the most mature critter....his body is enormous compared to the rest of them...and antlers might only be 3 point..but they're massive.....if I had all those choices....the 3 point...

The 1st 4x looks like he might get to be a monster next year if he survives the onslaught of hunters....

Muzzleloader has started here in Colorado and closes 9/19. I have several bucks I have my eyes on. The problem is I am teriable at gauging a great caliber buck. Location 1 has a wide 3x3 no I guards, 4x4 one I guard and 4x4 without velvet. The second video location 2 has a good 3x3 no I guards In a super tough hunting area let alone a slim chance to get a ethical shot distance. Let me know what I am looking at. View attachment 297525View attachment 297526View attachment 297527
Videos are better.

Muzzleloader has started here in Colorado and closes 9/19. I have several bucks I have my eyes on. The problem is I am teriable at gauging a great caliber buck. Location 1 has a wide 3x3 no I guards, 4x4 one I guard and 4x4 without velvet. The second video location 2 has a good 3x3 no I guards In a super tough hunting area let alone a slim chance to get a ethical shot distance. Let me know what I am looking at. View attachment 297525View attachment 297526View attachment 297527
Videos are better.

They are all nice. You are very lucky. They maybe there today and gone tomorrow. Just remember Shoot the one today that would have shot on the last day. If you have a good clean shot and comfortable with the range take it!

Last edited: