Need help on choosing a breed of dog as my coyote partner

theosmithjr

Hey guys, Theosmithjr here. As stated in earlier post, 2019 is gonna be my 1st SERIOUS YEAR of BANGING YOTES! I've DRILLED 6 so far. I've purchased a FOXPRO SHOCKWAVE & all the GOODIES, but now I wanna add a DOG to the mix. I've ALWAYS respected the INPUT I receive from the boys of LRH. Now I need your help once again. What is the BEST BREED Dog to use for COYOTES? I'll make the investment, provide the training, and give the Dog a GREAT HOME & ACTIVE LIFE in the field. I just DONT wanna do all this and end up with a LAPPIE that likes to Ride in my truck & eat Ice Cream! SERIOUS, EXPERIENCED REPLIES ONLY, PLEASE!
Theosmithjr

I've seen them on TV and they look like Cur breeds? Mt. Cur ..Blackmouth Cur
Mountain Curs originated in the mountains of Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee, but you can find different "Cur" types throughout the country. Dependable and hardy, they were used by pioneers to herd cattle, hunt wild boar and guard property. Though no one knows their exact lineage, Mountain Curs are believed to descend from European Cur-type dogs brought to the U.S. by immigrants.

Catahoula Curs are amazing coyote dogs. I have had 5 of them & loved them all. They got me lots of tough educated coyotes & 2 of them saved my butt on a mad sow black bear with 3 cubs. When she was at 7 feet they came around me & the fight was on. They are loyal and fearless.
Oh, and they will also cuddle up on your lap & eat ice cream. My 80 pound male would sleep on the bed with me & my wife. Mine have all passed on due to old age but I am looking for another one.
Thanks, Kirk

P.S. They train really easy. All I had to do was take them & show them what I was doing & they just picked it up. When checking my coyote trap line, I could tell if I had one before I could see the set just by watching my dog.

It's about the breed and more importantly that particular line in that breed. I would look for breeders that are using dogs in manner. Some strains will have too much grit and will never decoy at all.

Mt curs and black mouth come to mind. Kemmer curs. Most cuts are great with family

I have buddy in Montana that has Airedale terriers. Says they're mean on coyotes, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. His old dog is a good company also.

My Pitbulls would be worthless at this! They would just chase the coyotes till the
dog was exhausted and wondering why they wouldn't stand and fight?
I would have to go hunt the dog!
The ones I've seen have about 1/3 docked off their tails. Very common with Cur owners!

Last edited:
Chihuahua. They are the size of a coyotes main prey species, they yap and will attract coyotes in, they are fidgety so will also be a sight attractant, and when they get eaten by a coyote....all the better. Repeat.
You just trying to be a SMARTA$$ or are you SERIOUS sir?
Theosmithjr

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I've NEVER even heard of the CUR BREED before. Mt Cur, BLACK MOUTH CUR. Is that the breed the fellas on TV's PREDATOR HUNT use? I'll start my search for one today. I liked how the ones on TV would STAND until their master told em to Git Em! Then it appeared they took off like a rifle shot chasing the Yotes, almost looked as if they Hearded them back I to their masters field of view, then returned to heel. AMAZING!
Theosmithjr

I've seen them on TV and they look like Cur breeds? Mt. Cur ..Blackmouth Cur
Mountain Curs originated in the mountains of Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee, but you can find different "Cur" types throughout the country. Dependable and hardy, they were used by pioneers to herd cattle, hunt wild boar and guard property. Though no one knows their exact lineage, Mountain Curs are believed to descend from European Cur-type dogs brought to the U.S. by immigrants.

Catahoula Curs are amazing coyote dogs. I have had 5 of them & loved them all. They got me lots of tough educated coyotes & 2 of them saved my butt on a mad sow black bear with 3 cubs. When she was at 7 feet they came around me & the fight was on. They are loyal and fearless.
Oh, and they will also cuddle up on your lap & eat ice cream. My 80 pound male would sleep on the bed with me & my wife. Mine have all passed on due to old age but I am looking for another one.
Thanks, Kirk

P.S. They train really easy. All I had to do was take them & show them what I was doing & they just picked it up. When checking my coyote trap line, I could tell if I had one before I could see the set just by watching my dog.
Thank you very much!

You just trying to a SMARTA$$ or are you SERIOUS sir?
Theosmithjr

If you're using them for literally bait, then that sounds like a good idea. Just make sure the dog doesn't get too far away from you. Coyotes eat little dogs all the time.

My wife and I have 3 greater Swiss mountain dogs. They are an all around working dog. They can pull carts up to 2000lbs, they can pack gear, they can herd and protect farm animals, they stay by your side (I can walk mine off a leash), they don't startle easily or chase (take them on my lease and they just stare at deer), very calm demeanor to put coyotes at ease when they walk up.

They are also huge dogs. Our male is 130lbs of muscle. They will sit on your lap, let babies pull on their ears and face, but flip a switch and protect you. We had someone trying to get in our front door one night and all three of them were right at it trying to get to the dude casing the house. Person took off instantly.

Great dogs. Only issue is they can get bloat and they run about $2500 a pop.

37CABB01-08EB-4226-B7FB-B401129158DA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.