Help me choose a new coyote rifle!

Bowhunter57

I'd like some suggestions for a new coyote rifle.

My criteria is:
* Larger than .223/5.56 caliber (I like how dead my .25-06 kills varmints).
* Semi-auto action...maybe a lever-action.
* Doesn't have to be an AR platform, but nothing wrong with it. H&K, Steyr, BAR, etc.
* Open sights or scoped, for optics.
* 20" barrel or shorter prefered. However, good ballistics is a must.
* Kill zone, inside 200 yards.

I intend to reload for this rifle, as I want to use a light weight bullet for good fragmentation and accuracy. If I go with an AR, it'll probably be a Rock River Arms, possibly a D.P.M.S. Panther...other brands would be considered.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

6.8 SPC. Got alot more punch than a 223 without much more recoil. Several companys offer 6.8 AR uppers. Great bullet/brass sellection (110gr SST is my wolf/yote bullet) It should fall right in between 223 and your 25.06. The 6.8 is designed for a 16in tube (mine is 18in and I kinda wish I'd have gone with the 16in, but for some reason I thought the extra 50ft/sec was worth the extra barrel length... it wasn't) Great little round, and good for deer with in 400yds as well.

Inside 200 yards, 458 SOCOM, 450 Bushmaster should put them on the ground pretty hard, and you can fend off the errant hog too. If you want to stretch the kill zone, 6.5 Grendel. From what I have read, even the cheap Wolf PSP kills em dead.

how about a 6.5 creedmoor on a AR that would do the job on just about anything

I appreciate all of the info that has been posted, so far. Due to ballistics, brass availability and firearm & bullet choices, I've decided to go with a .308. :cool:

Bowhunter57

Hmmm.. It seems you American's really like to stick with your AR platform. Doesn't anyone use the H&K SL8?

- just curious....

Ginnz.

I know what my next coyote rifle is going to be, the ar chambered in 22-250 by olympic arms.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.