Need help from the Nightforce crowd

CRNA

Ok, so I'm looking into putting together my first long range rifle. While the jury is still out concerning what the rifle will be, I know that I want a Nightforce scope.
So, I made an hour and a half trip today to the closest stocking Nightforce dealer to actually get my hands on one. They had a couple of the 5.5-22X scopes (different reticles). I liked the scope overall, but I have a few questions. (Neither scope was equiped with the zero-stop mechanism.)

Question 1 is this: I noticed when I dialed the elevation knob down to as far as it would go there was about two or three clicks left to go before turning all the way to zero. How does the zero-stop work? Will it make the elevation knob dial down to zero? How do you sight a long range scope like that in and then be able to find your zero again? I thought the whole point in scopes with the target turrets like on the NF was to allow you to zero in (say at 100 yds.) and be able to go back to that zero. In the case of this scope how would you zero it without loosing MOA that could still be turned down further? I hope this makes sense.

Question 2: Although the dealer did not have any 8-32X scopes, do you guys find you like the added magnification with the bigger scope? I really don't see the difference between 5.5 and 8X magnification for closer range work. Also, I noticed that with the scope turned to the 22X magnification level the scope was not as bright and clear, which is expected, but at 32X on a bigger scope does the 56mm objective lens allow enough light in to brighten it up?

Thank you all for your time and for your replies. I appreciate all the help on this matter that I can get.

The turret has a set screw so you can zero it after you sight it in. I prefer the 5.5x22 because it has 100 MOA of adjustment. The 8x32 only has 60.

The turret has a set screw so you can zero it after you sight it in. I prefer the 5.5x22 because it has 100 MOA of adjustment. The 8x32 only has 60.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I remember seeing the small allen head screw that I assume you are talking about. Thanks for your input.

64MOA on elevation.

I owned one, and the reason to pickk 8-32x56 instead of 5.5-22x56 was the problem with the darker lenses at maximum power.
I opted for 32 because it is calibrated at 22X and there I HAVE ALL THE TIME CLEAR CRISP IMAGE.
Of course I lost MOA, but with 338edge I can go up to 1784yrd and still have another 3 moa left.
The Trick is sight the scope at zero, and then insert metal spacers under your 20-40MOA Rail, or machine the base as necesary to have the scope 1 MOA at the bottom at 100yards.
In this way you do not need ZERO STOP, and you will have 63MOA for LOTS OF ELEVATION.

This is what I did with my NSX.

zero stop is you friend when it comes to dialing in diffrent DOP and trying to remember were you were last. :) if you have short term memory like me its a life saver cause you can always find zero. I run the 5.5x22x56 and it has plenty of magnifaction for me. I didnt like the 8x32 power scopes because it cut the field of view down and seemed like I always searching for the target.
Jason

I have to come up 64 MOA when I shoot 2000 yards with my Edge. My friend has the 8x32 on his Edge and he has to dial it as far as it will go and then hold over. I don't like my scope to limit how far I can shoot so I would lean towards the 5.5x22.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.