Need advise 6.5 creemoor h4350

Chesterrose79

Bergara B14 HMR 6.5 CM
147gr eld M
Lapua brass
H4350
I've spent about 200 rnds doing a load work up and found the gun shoots better at the hot end of the spectrum. I found the best group at 41gr which is below the recommended maximum load. I loaded 100 at this powder charge and then was noticing I was getting pretty bad pressure signs. Not sure why one time it was fine then the next I was getting heavy bolt lift and severe extractor marks. So I pulled all of those bullets and backed the load back .1g to 40.9 gr and am getting spread out groups now.

My question is should I tryto do another load ladder because something definitely has changed. I bought this gun new so maybe the barrel took a bit to break in amd get seasoned or should I try a slower burning powder to push the heavier bullet more consistently. I make sure all of my screws are torqued to proper specs before every shoot.

I would start by cleaning the barrel good. Your barrel could have went through a speed up process this is were a chronograph is good, you should note the velocity at a certain load on a new barrel or rifle and keep an eye on it. Are you measuring your bump on your cases if your bumping excess could be a headspace issue on some of your brass.
Start eliminating things one at a time.

Thanks guys. I bump my shoulders back .001. I just pulled the bullets yet again and am going to clean the case necks and the barrel really good. Going to try again this week since the range is the only place to be right now.

I have a two 6.5's. I run both of them (Sig SSG 3000 and MT Rifle Co X3 with H4350 41 grains. Both of them are just a little longer than SAMI for COAL. 2.800 if I run them longer I get pressure signs as you described much more so with the Sig which runs a Benchmark barrel. But here is my last group with the Sig. So I run them this way. Might not be the best advice. So sharing what I'd do. The top group is 5 shots at 2.800. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 32B38A19-C467-417F-AF7E-B02BDFFF77A6.jpeg
    32B38A19-C467-417F-AF7E-B02BDFFF77A6.jpeg
    997 KB · Views: 179
Do you feel different resistance closing the bolt only bumping .001, if you do you may try bumping.003. A cheap teslong borescope will really help keeping up with a carbon ring and any coppering or carbon build up in your barrel.

Last edited:
After you size your cases cycle them without any bullet seated and see how they feel closing the bolt.
Some brass is hard to get consistent. 001 bump as it work hardens, this is were annealing also helps and I hold the ram down for a few seconds to control spring back

I shoot 147elds with h4350 in my 1000 yard compatition rifle. I'm shooting way more powder than you without pressure. I use Lapua brass and bump .003 I'm getting 2850 in a 29 inch barrel. Pressure at less than 41 grains doesn't seem right. I've built many 6.5 Creed's and they all shoot more than that easily.

I shoot 147elds with h4350 in my 1000 yard compatition rifle. I'm shooting way more powder than you without pressure. I use Lapua brass and bump .003 I'm getting 2850 in a 29 inch barrel. Pressure at less than 41 grains doesn't seem right. I've built many 6.5 Creed's and they all shoot more than that easily.
That's what I was thinking. Shouldn't be getting pressure signs at those loads but they were definitely pressure signs. I even had to file the back of 4 cases because the ejector marks left a gouge with a raised part

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts