Need advice for XP build

immorteq

Hi there! Been a long time lurker and enjoy all the advice given. I'm building an XP100 and need some advice on what chambering to go with. I have a 6mm/243 8 twist Krieger on the way and am having the project put together by Mr Tannel.

I hope to use this pistol as an all around triple threat. I hope to be able to shoot paper at or beyond 1k, whitetails at or beyond 700-800 yards, and coyotes at both distances.

My dilemma is the chambering. I handload a bit but nothing that requires a great deal of case prep. I'd like to shoot the DTAC, but with barrel length finishing at 16 inches I'd like some advice on performance. Will the 6BR in that short of a barrel have the velocity to perform well at 1k and a little beyond? Will the DTACs go subsonic at 1k? I like the barrel life of the 6BR. Do I need to consider the 6XC or 243AI to extend the range to 1k? Any advice is appreciated greatly.

Why 16" I personally like em in the 17-18" range. I would look into the 6x284, that should be able to push the dtacs nicely.

I'm in a chair and do most of my shooting out the front windshield of my Jeep and chose 16" to keep it as handy and manuverable inside the Jeep as I could. The research I've been able to do has me a little hesitant on the previous selection of the BR. Seems the velocity with 115s may be on the ragged edge of supersonic at 1k and I was hoping some folks may have real world experience I could benefit from.

I definitely looked into the 6 284 and it's ballistics are impressive for sure but I was hoping to get at least a couple thousand rounds out of the barrel. I'm willing to sacrifice some barrel life for performance at 1k but I guess I'm tryin to see how much I will have to trade off.

Appreciate the suggestions.

I would lean either with the 6mm-6.5x47 Lapua or the 6-284.
The 243AI is basically a clone performance wise to the 6-284.
I have a Broughton 8T that stabilizes the 115 DTAC great to a mile, but mine is a 18" barrel.
Most 8T's will stabilize the 115 DTAC, but I wouldn't use a cartridge any less than the 243AI with the DTAC's.

I would look at the 105/107 VLD's or the 95 grain VLD with the 6x47 Lapua for the combination of barrel life and 1k performance in a 16" tube
You will also have less recoil with the lighter bullets, and less powder burning compared to the 6-284, 243 AI or the 243 Win.

The 6x47 lapua is a good one I have been shooting one for a few years with good accuracy.

Ewallace, what kind of performance are you seeing? What are your weapon's specs? What kinda use does she get? Thanks for the opinion. Been doing quite a bit of reading and really think the 6x47 is the ticket. Looked into the 6SLR a bit and liked what I read there too.

My xp has a Lawton 8t barrel 18" with a brake and I am shooting the Berger 105 g bullets I can remember the velocity. I have shot it out to 1500 yards. I also have a custom SP that I shot in 11 pound class in 1000 yard br it has shot 10 shots just over 10" in competition finishing 1st place with rifle shooters. Both SP were smithed by me.

The XP-100 (bottom) has a 15-7/8" barrel in 260 Rem. It can deliver 123 gn Lapua Scenars supersonic at 1000 yards.

dsc00936.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pics. Love em! Sounds like you guys got me goin in the right direction! TY! Lou your XP looks alot like what I'm shooting for. I'm also goin with a mcm center grip and a similar barrel length. What diameter did your muzzle finish at? Mine's gonna finish at .900 and I'm wondering if I might have gone a little too fat and it may limit my muzzle brake options later, if I choose to get one installed down the road.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.