Need advice - Backpack upgrade

I used an Alice pack for years. When Seek Outside started up I picked up one of their packs and have been using it ever since. It wasn't expensive back then and was one of the lightest compressible platforms at the time. I probably wouldn't pay what most of the folks pay for packs on this forum.

I'll make no claim that I don't get sore, but I haul elk with it every year and I backpack or scout all summer with it. It's nothing fancy but me and my rifles aren't either.
2 elk quarters in an Alice pack is brutal pain.....I would only wish that on my brother in law.....never again.

I'd swear the Alice pack is a Chinese torture contraption. Poor suckers in nam had it bad.

I have owned and used all that you listed. I am that guy who is constantly trying to find the perfect hunting kit. Buying and selling all sorts or gear. Exo is the one that has stuck the longest. For me it has proven to be the best combination of comfort, strength and weight. I still have the stone glacier for ultralight daypack for light and fast hunts/scouting. I use the exo the most for multi day or cold weather hunts and for packing out that day. I have kept the kifaru for when friends call and need a heavy pack out. So my current usage is 70% exo, 25% stone glacier, and 5% Kifaru. If I had to pick only one, I would sell the kifaru, and then cry as I got rid of my stone glacier (due to all of the epic hunts it has been on and all the animals it has packed out), but I would keep the Exo. I packed out 7 animals (3 deer, 3 elk and 1 moose) last two season with it and it performed flawlessly and the most comfortably a pack ever has for me.
You've even used the Initial Ascent? If so, how did it compare?

For my winter/hunting pack I SOLD my old, heavy (7 1/2 lb.) Dana Terraplane and bought a DEUTER Air Contact Lite in the "65+10" model. Plenty of room, very well made, hauls heavy loads and often on sale. Check REI.

Deuter is a German company but, like the US company Osprey, it is made in Viet Nam, thankfully NOT China.

Deuter also makes a larger version but by using aftermarket side pockets my pack easily carries all my winter camping stuff and then some. I keep my stove, fuel and potty kit in one pocket, 1st aid, water treatment and toilet kit in the other with room left over. These are items I may want to get at quickly without digging through the main pack.
Funny you mention that Deuter… I used that exact model all season this year because it's lighter and more comfortable than my other packs. Definitely a very nice pack, but it's missing a load shelf. Otherwise it's an excellent choice and what I have always picked for general backpacking purposes.

Well, we'll see. I ordered a WPS Axis on the Kodiak frame. I think it is exactly what I'm looking for, but I need it in front of me to know for sure.

Im 58 and into light everthing,light gun,binos knife etc.My kuiu 1800 ultra,2-8oz.My kit which is alot of stuff,atlas game bags,two knives,two headlamps,phone,5 rnds,lazer,els,food h2o,puffy,foam seat,tape.cord,flagging.Runs 15-18 #'s depending on jackets.Expands out for meat and the HEAVY HORN:D

Im 58 and into light everthing,light gun,binos knife etc.My kuiu 1800 ultra,2-8oz.My kit which is alot of stuff,atlas game bags,two knives,two headlamps,phone,5 rnds,lazer,els,food h2o,puffy,foam seat,tape.cord,flagging.Runs 15-18 #'s depending on jackets.Expands out for meat and the HEAVY HORN:D
That is impressive! How many days long are your typical hunts?
What's your rifle weigh?

Funny you mention that Deuter… I used that exact model all season this year because it's lighter and more comfortable than my other packs. Definitely a very nice pack, but it's missing a load shelf. Otherwise it's an excellent choice and what I have always picked for general backpacking purposes.
Did you even come to a decision?

I day hunt,or hunt for days,done 30-40 days in a row.Rifle is 7-2oz bare 338NM,8 3/4 dressed,took it on a 14 miler few weeks ago.

Around the mountain

Attachments

• 112077DD-3B9F-4F52-B811-DA35743AE2F3.jpeg
    112077DD-3B9F-4F52-B811-DA35743AE2F3.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 112
  • 224453F9-1E13-4408-B74A-C1009AA13FB0.jpeg
    224453F9-1E13-4408-B74A-C1009AA13FB0.jpeg
    878.7 KB · Views: 119
My vote goes for the Exo. I have the 3200 bag and have hiked some miles this year. I have loaded it with 90-100 lbs of meat and packed with ease. The way that this pack distributes the weight is amazing and the comfort is perfect. My only complaint is that the fabric can be a bit loud when tree branches brush against the bag, but I appreciate that it is super durable and should last many years.

BONUS - They have a "once a year" 15% off sale next week. If you do buy one, I highly recommend that you get the crib load panel that aids in packing boned out meat.

Attachments

• CA19D922-DD42-484B-ADEE-AEA86D943D62.jpeg
    CA19D922-DD42-484B-ADEE-AEA86D943D62.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 80
I think it's because I'm 61 and no longer have a butt. My wife says I scratched it all off! I really liked the pack; it just seemed that the lumbar pad was way too firm for me.
I went into the Kuiu store to buy a new pack a few months ago. I really liked the pro 6000 but I hated the lumbar support too. It just didn't feel right. As my wife tells me I don't have a butt to hold up my jeans either. So maybe that's the problem for guys like us. The lack of a backside

My vote goes for the Exo. I have the 3200 bag and have hiked some miles this year. I have loaded it with 90-100 lbs of meat and packed with ease. The way that this pack distributes the weight is amazing and the comfort is perfect. My only complaint is that the fabric can be a bit loud when tree branches brush against the bag, but I appreciate that it is super durable and should last many years.

BONUS - They have a "once a year" 15% off sale next week. If you do buy one, I highly recommend that you get the crib load panel that aids in packing boned out meat.
Day hikes or multi day pack hunts?
I couldn't imagine having enough room inside 3200 ci for my gear after packing 3.5 days of food.

So far, I have used mine for long day hunts 6+ miles from the road at times. Would probably recommend the 4800 for the overnight trips.