need a target for new 1000 yrd range

jeff 300

I went out to the ranch to day and finally set up my 1000yrd range. I built it down a fence line with lots of brush witch will give me a great wind brake and the shooting bench is under some big oak trees so i will have shade all day. but what i need is some kind of Target i can move eze. i have a 18"x20" gong at 1000 but would like to have a movable target i can move in between. i will be adding a 500yrd gong this week. so does any one have some pic of a target that i can build and moved eze.

No pics, but build a 4x4' frame of 1x4"s and use 1/4" board for front. Use two hinges on the upper corners and another two 1x4s as legs. use string from bottom of target to bottom of each leg to limit how far open they will go.

That is a light setup for movement, allows targets to be stapled to it

Good luck

BH

Jeff 300:

I've got a few of this type of frames in different sizes. The main part, on the left, is hinged at the top and has a very small chain on each side so it opens to a solid position each time, although, if terrain necessitates, you can open it less and it still works. The main frame has two loop eye screws in the bottom of the top cross piece. The small, inner frame, has two eye screws in the top cross piece. When the main frame is set up the inner frame hangs from the eye screws and this always gives a vertical target. The inner frame has a very small eye screw in the outer, bottom corners. The main frame has very small eye screws in the outter legs down towards the bottom. This allows me to use a very small bungee to hook the inner frame down and out to the outer legs so it doesn't move if the wind is blowing. I buy paper in rolls sized for the inner frame and attach it to the inner frame with masking tape. I then use stick on orange dots sized for the appropriate range. I can write all pertinent data on the paper, roll it up and store it for future reference. They are made of throw away wood so if they get shot up I just replace them. They weigh very little, are easy to carry and set up and stack flat in the truck for transportation.

This particular main frame is double 1x4 material. That's really heavier than needed. All of my other main frames are single 1x3 material with lapped corner joints and it's plenty heavy enough. It also makes them lighter if you have to pack them very far.

DSC02407croppedMedium.jpg

I use real estate signs. (I get them from my buddys wife, she is an agent). Light weight and easily moved/set up.

JD338

Jeff "I built it down a fence line with lots of brush witch will give me a great wind brake..."

Beware of a cross wind. At ground level you may not feel or measure the wind, but somewhere around 5-700 yards you bullet's path may be up 14-15 feet above your line of sight, above the wind break and into some real turbulance as the wind gets driven up over the brush. You may want to put some wind flags up high in this area. The results there may be radically different than where you are standing.

Rick

thanks a lot some great info and ideas. i hope to get to us it real soon are as soon as Kirby finishes my 338-300 the wind down here blows all the time. we hardly have a day with lease than 15mph winds. it realy sucks.

I use pallets, just lay them in the grass when done. I just prop it up with a 6 ft 2x4. If someone steals it, oh well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.