1000 yrd qualification

As I stated, the qualification, and practice will all be done with the Sierra Boat Tail Bullets, not the partitions. The partitions will be used for hunting.

I don't anticipate reaching out beyond 700 yards for hunting. I have used the partition exclusively for hunting for the past 30 years without a single bullet failure. One hunting trip of 3 days in NE Wyoming was 33 deer and antelope, all with the 165 30-06 or 100 243. There have been several 600 yard shots with one shot kills with the Partitions. I have shot deer at 600 yards and at 15 yards with the 30-06 and 243 both and it is always the same results. caliber size hole in and quarter size hole out.

While there may be better bullets for accuracy beyond 750 yards, I will stick with the Partitions for all my hunting. I don't expect hunting bullets to replace target bullets.

As I stated, the qualification, and practice will all be done with the Sierra Boat Tail Bullets, not the partitions. The partitions will be used for hunting.

I don't anticipate reaching out beyond 700 yards for hunting. I have used the partition exclusively for hunting for the past 30 years without a single bullet failure. One hunting trip of 3 days in NE Wyoming was 33 deer and antelope, all with the 165 30-06 or 100 243. There have been several 600 yard shots with one shot kills with the Partitions. I have shot deer at 600 yards and at 15 yards with the 30-06 and 243 both and it is always the same results. caliber size hole in and quarter size hole out.

While there may be better bullets for accuracy beyond 750 yards, I will stick with the Partitions for all my hunting. I don't expect hunting bullets to replace target bullets.
It's a great bullet for many applications and at those ranges for what you are hunting it's a more than acceptable bullet.

I shot them too exclusively until on a lark I needed to load some 7mm mag's for a hunt, ran out, and my gun shop guy recommended the Hornady Interlock, and I've never gone back. The only changes I've made since on loading for game is to move to the interbond due to it's superior ballistics.

One problem I have seen repeatedly with the Partition is that in the faster calibers/loads and shorter ranges they tend to just punch straight through medium sized game such as deer and antelope without doing significant damage resulting in game running a very long way before dying unless you break a shoulder, hit the spine or get a solid heart shot.

There are some great threads on here about bullet selections you'd probably enjoy reading.

After my current stock of STW's are exhausted I'm probably going to try some Berger's on the next round of loads.

Almost all bullets will have ideal performance only at specific velocities for medium and large game applications.

The world has changed so much in technology including bullet technology over the last thirty years it's utterly staggering.

If anyone had told me 30 years ago that we'd one day have sniper rifles capable of consistent kills at 2,200-2,800m's, in not just one but three calibers I'd have told them they were smok'n crack.

Today we have three calibers and fairly wide selection of bullets for them that are capable of just that.

It is only begrudgingly that I entered the 21st century because I thought I'd learned it all in the last one HA!

Qualifying report: Well, I got qualified with the 270 and the 130 grain Sierra for the 1,000 yards. It was a pretty easy qualification. 7 rounds out of 10 on target and none in the berm ahead of the targets.

I had an el-cheapo scope (6x24x50 Simmons Prairie Master $69 on sale). It went the 104 clicks (actually I went 102 to be sure I didn't plant one in the berm and be disqualified). The first shot was at the top of the black at 1000 yards and about 3" left (breeze was right to left).

was really satified as I didn't have time to work up any load and just took the 130 grain Nosler Partition load and used it on the 130 grain sierra Match King Boattail. The 270 was one of the cheap Remington parkerized models from about 20 years ago. The barrel was not free floated but had the pressure area in the plastic stock. Asking quite a bit from it actually for a fast 10 shot string.

Qualifying report: Well, I got qualified with the 270 and the 130 grain Sierra for the 1,000 yards. It was a pretty easy qualification. 7 rounds out of 10 on target and none in the berm ahead of the targets.

I had an el-cheapo scope (6x24x50 Simmons Prairie Master $69 on sale). It went the 104 clicks (actually I went 102 to be sure I didn't plant one in the berm and be disqualified). The first shot was at the top of the black at 1000 yards and about 3" left (breeze was right to left).

was really satified as I didn't have time to work up any load and just took the 130 grain Nosler Partition load and used it on the 130 grain sierra Match King Boattail. The 270 was one of the cheap Remington parkerized models from about 20 years ago. The barrel was not free floated but had the pressure area in the plastic stock. Asking quite a bit from it actually for a fast 10 shot string.
Well hell I guess it couldn't have gone any better! Congrats!

That kinda makes the case for adjustable turrets ! A 250 inch hold over would be almost impossible, adjustable open sights would be easier than a non adjustable scope.

Actually it was very lucky that some inexpensive equipment worked. Shooting was just rest the rifle, put the crosshairs on the target and pull the trigger. OOOPSS SQUEEZE the trigger.

Fortunately we had virtually NO wind that day. So there weren't any real judgements to make or compensations. Just count the clicks and shoot.

But thanks for the responses. Always good to make some milestone that we set for ourselves. Kinda like the first time I solo'd. I VIVIDLY remember as the wheels left the tarmack... OH MY GOD! I HAVE TO LAND THIS ALL BY MYSELF OR I'M NOT GETTING BACK! And that was 30+ years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.