Need a gunsmith for a ruger

Most likely a M77 push feed, tang safety, but might be a M77 MKII.

Go on-line & visit McGowen Precision Barrels, Kalispell MT

They will fix you up but the wait time might be 6 months or more. Contour duplications are reasonably close & cost extra. Bluing chrome moly is extra as well as complete disassembly & cleaning. It might be difficult to match exact bluing as Ruger receivers have a certain nickel content that makes them appear purple/bluish. Installing a stainless barrel close to factory contour would save much $$, no special contour & bluing costs. Good opportunity to get optimum twist rate for bullet(s) that you intend to shoot. I have many McGowen barrels & am very happy with them.

Send me a PM for additional info.

Last edited:
I would check the firing system first, Before thinking about a barrel. Unless the barrel has been treated real bad. Or it is a barrel burner cartridge.
30 years of a gun setting around especially left cocked, Springs will weaken, Dirt get around the firing pin, From previous shooting, And slow the firing pin down.

Early Ruger rifles are getting old enough to start acting like early Remington 721, 722 models did about 20 years ago. Replacing the firing pin spring will make some rifles them selves again.

If the rifle has a wood stock check the bedding on the barrel and action, I had a 1962 Sako with a French Walnut Stock warp and put pressure on one side of the barrel, The rifle for no reason shot about 10" right at 100 yds. Opened the barrel channel, Shot the rifle and did not move the scope. Back right where it was zeroed at.
Good Luck on finding the cause and cure.

32845504-4470-44C1-8F63-297B8DD90DA3.jpeg

Here's my mkii it's only 20 years old but decided to go with a little heavier profile and faster twist

If I were you I'd ship the rifle to Ruger. They could go over the whole rifle and update as needed, while it's there getting a factory fresh new Ruger barrel. It would also cost less than going with a match barrel which would make the rifle non-original.

Just a thought.

Have my first deer rifle given to me by my father. Groups are finally starting to open ip after 30 years. I'd like to get it rebarrled with the exact profile and blued to match my action. Any suggestions ?
Have my first deer rifle given to me by my father. Groups are finally starting to open ip after 30 years. I'd like to get it rebarrled with the exact profile and blued to match my action. Any suggestions ?

Would it be possible to share some information about the rifle that you are asking about? How old the rifle is, what cartridge is it chambered in, how many rounds do you suspect/know have been down the barrel?? I've got a few Ruger 77, tang safety rifles that I have had reworked over the years, a new Lilja rebarrel, contoured to your existing barrel and the entire barreled action blued will probably run around $700-800.

Last edited: