Need a Gunsmith /advice

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by joe0121, Feb 9, 2013.

1. joe0121

joe0121 Well-Known Member

I have a .300 WM on a remy action. It is a complete custom McMillan A5 adjustable lop and cheek weld, Kreiger #10 MTU 28", Timney Trigger. Aftermarket Bolt knob. It is a heavy beast I built for prone shooting ELR at steel. This thing is a hammer easy 1/4 rifle with hand loads and it's my first bolt gun. In a couple years I want to go on a bear hunt but don't have a good rifle for it. I can bring the WM but I don't want to lug around a 16 pound rifle.

I want to have a lighter 300 WM probably build it off Savage parts for bear hunting and build a 338 for smacking steel ELR. I have narrowed it down to 338 Edge or 338 Norma Mag.

I want to have a repeater fed from a DMB with a capacity of 5 rounds.

Best case I sell the remy and hope I can get $2k for it. Use my tax return to build a 338 Norma Mag based on a stiller tac 338 and a "cheap" 300 WM. If that doesn't work out I'd like to use my remy as a doner and chamber it in edge.

Who would be a good smith who wont have a 6 month wait after I already waited 4 months on the Kreiger barrel. Also is there a DBM I can use with a COAL of 3.9 inch to really get the edge moving. I would also like to have the barrel salt bath nitrated.

I could also build the Edge off a savage action and stick it in a Mcree chassis but I don't know if I can get a magazine in the mcree that will allow a 3.9 COAL.

2. kennygss

kennygss Well-Known Member

You might call Chad Dixon, he can do so pretty miraculous turnarounds with excellent results if you need it rather quickly.

3. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I think you are pushing the build time,whats the rush. One thought,you already have a target rig,just get a 338, whatever for bear hunt.I shot a 340wby for 20 +.Or watch the classifieds here. I have for years and you can find anything. I just picked up a full custom norma on here,for less than a build .

4. joe0121

Thanks for the info. I don't "need" it quickly I just dont want to be waiting on my stick for a year.
    I want a 388 to go to a mile and beyond and hunt LR, the 300 I want to use for a walk around rifle for bear hunting. in other words I have need of a rifle thats practical for hunt but that can also lay the smack down on anything in north America. I also want a 338 to put the smack down on steel/rocks really really far away. I hear what you are saying though.

5. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I have both.I have a light 7-2 oz.bare packer and a heavier rig gun.Both Normas love them.gun)

6. joe0121

Are they built on standard actions? I thought about doing a 338 NM using my current action that's already been trued. I hear conflicting reports of the safety of this set up.

7. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

Good, cheap, short lead times are tough--don't know anyone that fits that request.

8. joe0121

Cheap isnt a requirement. I was just weighing my options. Im willing to pay a good smith just maybe save some money not going with an after market action

9. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I was going to rework a mark v wby.But got talked out of it by 2 smiths for a norma or lapua.I handed that rifle down to son and both mine are on Defiance,with one piece bolts.One I use AI mag other is in hunting style stock w,dbm.

10. joe0121

Decided to re barrel the 700 in 338 Edge and run a seekins DBM. I have a savage action and stock on the way that will eventually be my hunting .300 WM.

Now I have to come up with a dummy cartridge and decide how I want it throated. I'm thinking of using Berger 300 Gr Tactical.

11. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

That projectile flies great in my Normas, 1'' @ 400 is my bestgroup

12. joe0121

Nice. I am very excited. Ill be packing up my rifle this week to send it to the smith. Still looking at 4-6 months before I have loaded ammoe and time to use it. Berger bullets are tough to find these days.