Need 220 Swift Loads: V-max 55 gr/Berger 55 gr Varmint - Varget/H380

drenner43

I need some good loads for my 220 Swift to try. It's a factory Remington 700 VSSF with 1-14 twist barrel. I have and plan to use the following:

Bullets:
Hornady V-Max 55 gr
Berger 55 gr Varmint

Powder:
Varget
H380

Federal Primers

Norma Brass

Thanks for the help!!

I need some good loads for my 220 Swift to try. It's a factory Remington 700 VSSF with 1-14 twist barrel. I have and plan to use the following:

Bullets:
Hornady V-Max 55 gr
Berger 55 gr Varmint

Powder:
Varget
H380

Federal Primers

Norma Brass

Thanks for the help!!

Can't help you on either tried both in the same set up you have except for a bit of work ( lapped lugs, trigger ect) neither showed any promise for me so I shelved them both. Both work very well in 22-250 and other cartridges. If you want consistant loads there are 2 powders to try the first is H-414 the second is H-4831. 414 is pretty temp sensitive but it does work well with 40-55 grain bullets.H-4831 excells with 55 grain bullets and is much more stable than 414 plus you will be working with 100% case capicity perhaps more depending on the size of your chamber and your fireformed brass. I have better es sd and accuracy with a compressed load of 4831 than any other powder I have tried wth 55's I do give up 100-175 fps vers max charges in other powders but accuracy is excellent , you can always deal with drop that is not a problem with a bit of range work. Wind is a bit more fun with .224's and light bullets. Your rifle is unique but I have not yet seen a factory rifle chambered in swift that would not shoot with 414 or 4831 I am sure some exist but I have not run into one yet.

Keep your barrel cool keep your barrel clean and neck size. Because of the semi rim and the throat length on your factory barrel expect to load her one at a time or one in the mag and one up the pipe as you will probably find that 2.68" oal is not your best set up for accuracy that the swift is capable of. The mags on the vssf's are just too short for the throat length, you might find a load that will fit the mag for a single down but if you want to fill her up 2.68 is max and 2.64 is better.

I don't have any load data for the powders you have there. I can say I have used them both with good results but end up using imr4064. I run this with 55 vmax to fire form 220 Swift AI. The only thing that would say it that if your going for speed go with the h380 over the varget and use mag primers. I only use mag primes now for my swift pushing 80 amax 3450fps. It is worth the primer for the speed in my eyes.
Hope this helps.
Eric

Well since nobody has any good loads, anybody have some starting points for me with these powders and bullets?

Varget wasn't popular much yet when I last developed loads for a Swift, so don't have any loads specific for the swift. But 36.5 Varget and Berger 55 Varmint (used to called MEF I believe) shoots extremely well in a VSSF 22-250.

For my old swift, I used nothing but H-380 all it's life. Most accurate factory barrel rifle I ever owned. Ruger 77 Varmint made in 1973. Shot all sorts of 52 and 53 match bullets using +/- 39 grns H-380, 55 Nosler BT's with 41 grns H-380, Never chrono'd the 55 Nosler load, but the 39 grn loads were doing around 3600'/sec. Nothing but Winchester brass and Fed 210 primers.

4064 used to have a good reputation in the Swift, but it doesn't meter nearly as nice as H-380. I was loading a couple hundred rounds at a time so ease of metering was important. 4831 doesn't meter very accurately either for that matter.

Here's some groups with above mentioned loads, I have lots of targets that look like these, but most aren't on the computer just yet.

Attachments

• 22-250 VSSF at 100yds.jpg
    22-250 VSSF at 100yds.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 319
  • Ruger 77 220 Swift.jpg
    Ruger 77 220 Swift.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 324
varget - and work your way up and the gun will tell your what likes. i have seen some great groups with varget and 55 gr, bullets but the gun liked them loaded hot.

I had a remington 700 Classic in .220 swift. (One of those rifles I should never have sold).

My accuracy load was a mild 36.5 grains of 2208 (Varget) with the 55 Sierra Spt.

It was quite mild and could be used with any 55 grain projectile as a starting load. Primers were Remington 9 1/2 and Cases Norma.

I also found 50 grain Norma projectiles very accurate but case length growth was a problem and I was constantly trimming.

Can't help with either powder or bullet choices you have, but in my Swift I shoot the 55 Bal-Tip with VV N-160 just an awesome powder in my rifle getting 3900 out of a 27" in 1-12. and it shoot's in the .2's....longest kill was 627yrds doe antelope.

I have also used IMR-4831 with very good results. Keep an eye on case length...the swift cases grow very fast. It is a great cartridge in any make rifle, just need to find the bullet/powder combo it likes. It is a very accurate cartridge.

I have found H-380 to be too temp sensitive for my liking. You should be able to get a load with Varget to work. You can call/email Berger and ask them, they will give you loads for their bullets.

55gr bullet fed 210 LR primer BM-2 start 34 gr 3475 fps.....max 36.5 gr 3720 fps

55 gr bullet fed 210 LR primer H-4895 start 32.5 gr 3450 fps.... max 37.5 gr 3700 fps

36.0 gr Varget and Fed 210M and WW cases
100_6134.jpg

100_6135.jpg

Varget seems to like the upper end of the load recipe to yield a good load. I just went thru all of this same thing. I just got some more 55's back in so I'll try them. The target used in the first pic was with 55 FMJ's with a cannulure. Not the most accurate selection.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.