.224 hornady 55 gr GMX loaded in .223 Rem

Kansaswoodguy

Guys

I picked up a box of 55 gr .224 gmx loaded some for .223 Rem and tried them out on bullistic gel they open very well at 25 yards and did seem to foul less then the Barnes I normally use I may switch after I run out of all the Barnes I have are used up. Here are some photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 315
Guys

I picked up a box of 55 gr .224 gmx loaded some for .223 Rem and tried them out on bullistic gel they open very well at 25 yards and did seem to foul less then the Barnes I normally use I may switch after I run out of all the Barnes I have are used up. Here are some photos

Interesting photo.. The bullet frontal expansion size and over all bullet length looks a tad bit big or should I say long for a 55gr GMX The bullet in the photo also doesn't look as though it has a boat-tail which the GMX does I believe, is this the correct photo for your GMX test?
The scale is a little hard to read on the penetration of the gel as well.
Just asking.
Cheer's

I ran out to man cave and looked at the box they are 55 gr

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 177
I ran to man cave and looked the 55 gr are flat base bullet. Photo quality is not the best box shows boat tail but bullets are definitely flat base the two shot bullets one was loaded at 21 gr of IMR 3031 which is not even in my hornady reloading manual but I wanted a slow bullet to gage how well they would open on longer down range targets the second was loaded 10% lower than max for imr3031 per my hornady book. The photo of the bullet in the gel shows around 15" of penatration and was the 21 gr of 3031 the hot load past into the second block of gel. I have not tried working up a accurate load for them yet but I have lots of Barns to use up before I will need to do that. I only use the solid bullets for deer so I don't go thru them very fast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 342
I did a little more looking at the bullets and the 55 gr GMX have a rounded back edge not really a boat tail but rounded my 55 gr V-max have a very sharp back edge

I ran to man cave and looked the 55 gr are flat base bullet. Photo quality is not the best box shows boat tail but bullets are definitely flat base the two shot bullets one was loaded at 21 gr of IMR 3031 which is not even in my hornady reloading manual but I wanted a slow bullet to gage how well they would open on longer down range targets the second was loaded 10% lower than max for imr3031 per my hornady book. The photo of the bullet in the gel shows around 15" of penatration and was the 21 gr of 3031 the hot load past into the second block of gel. I have not tried working up a accurate load for them yet but I have lots of Barns to use up before I will need to do that. I only use the solid bullets for deer so I don't go thru them very fast.

Oh.. yeah'... much better, thanks. The performance looks great. Thanks for the sitrep on the load.

Cheer's

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.