neck turning

chain

This might be a dumb question, but I have been reading about neck turning. What the hell is neck turning? I resize/deprime, clean, prime and then reload. What am I missing? Thanks

neck turning is essentialy shaving some brass of the necks of your cases so that the necks are all a uniform thickness. it is particularly relevant if you are using bushing dies.....

This guy doesn't bother with neck turning...

http://www.6mmbr.com/schatz1000.html

Just do as he does and use good brass and you'll not really need to bother with neck turning.

And now for the guys who swear by it anyway... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

arrow-down.jpg

Notwithstanding the previous posts, neck turning is required for tight neck chambered rifles. If a chamber neck is smaller than SAMMI specs it will normally (but not always) require that the necks be turned in order to allow for sufficient neck expansion & bullet release.

Lapua doesn't make every caliber out there though. Norma might pick up where Lapua doesn't but I've heard mixed reviews for both.

Some of my best groups ever are WW brass with the necks turned.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.