neck turning

texasgunner

Ok guys, have question : Those of you that neck turn did it make a big difference in your groups, and does anybody use a reamer for the
inside diameter, or do you only worry about the outside diameter

No it did not make a big difference if you mean like I was shooting 1" groups and neck turning reduced them to 1/2" groups. But it did improve my groups but more importantly it helped improve my SDs and helped eliminate flyers. Neck turn new brass after using a expander mandrel to size the inside neck to properly fit over the Turning Mandrel. I do not use a reamer I use a expander to push the inconsistencies to the outside and then turn them off so the neck thickness is the same all the way around. Just turn enough to clean up the necks.

Ok guys, have question : Those of you that neck turn did it make a big difference in your groups, and does anybody use a reamer for the
I hunt and also shoot rifles in competition. I never turn necks for hunting, it is not needed., In competition, I always tell the smith I waNT
a tIght neck. This does require neck turning. It will make the brass more consistent and result in better accuracy. Expanding the necks first is absolutely necessary for accuracy.

I'm in line with sedancowboy... it will improve your ES & SD. It's not a miracle cure all that will cut any group in half

I'd agree with all mentioned above, however, I will say proper loading techniques and consistency is far more important to lower ES/SD than neck turning. The overwhelming majority of the rifles I load for maintain a 2.5-3.7 SD and I don't turn necks on any of them

I'd agree with all mentioned above, however, I will say proper loading techniques and consistency is far more important to lower ES/SD than neck turning. The overwhelming majority of the rifles I load for maintain a 2.5-3.7 SD and I don't turn necks on any of them

thats an impressive statement

care you share your procedures and brass choice

thats an impressive statement

care you share your procedures and brass choice
I don't look any anything I do as out of the ordinary. Always run the highest quality brass I can, the majority being Lapua and ADG. Make sure to be consistent with the amount of lube applied to the case during resizing as well as consistent pressure on the press handle during sizing and seating operations. Almost all the powder I throw is with a chargemaster or chargemaster light but I calibrate often. I do however always find a good powder node that is at least .4 wide and generally settle right in the middle of it.
The main point I was trying to make is unless you're consistent with your loading practices, turning necks isn't going to save you. If you're not consistent with the lube applied or pressure on the press handle your cases will vary .002-.003" on the shoulder bump. Same goes with bullet seating. I do run mostly bushing dies as well.
I don't weight sort brass or bullets. The majority of what I load for are hunting rifles so I'm not trying to set records.
I have a buddy that is constantly turning necks and buying all the high dollar powder scales and his SD's are all over the place. I've watched him load and he's not at all consistent in his practices.

there is a guy on the tube that runs an array of test , known load of .5" all the way to a (dump and seat) load that shoots a 2 and a half inches an a few in between using many different bullet types and brands shot em all back to back

his general consensus was that out of 6-7 test all but one showed improvement ( with pics to let you decide why )

overall , average improvement was a -.2 mutltiple of original unturned same load

im all about the more important benefit of taming the extreme spread when turning consistent neck wall , that it help lower vertical possibilities at longer ranges

there is a guy on the tube that runs an array of test , known load of .5" all the way to a (dump and seat) load that shoots a 2 and a half inches an a few in between using many different bullet types and brands shot em all back to back

his general consensus was that out of 6-7 test all but one showed improvement ( with pics to let you decide why )

overall , average improvement was a -.2 mutltiple of original unturned same load

im all about the more important benefit of taming the extreme spread when turning consistent neck wall , that it help lower vertical possibilities at longer ranges
Fair enough, I see your point and will agree that turning will definitely make the necks more consistent across all bearing surfaces of the bullet to neck contact. That in turn has the potential for a better/more consistent bullet release which will have an impact on ES/SD and maybe show up on paper downrange. What it will not do is turn poor loading practices or a sub par load into a superstar.

There is a one thing worth mentioning about turning necks. If you are using a SAMMI spec chamber with a pretty large neck diameter you cannot turn much off of the necks or they will split upon firing or soon there after.

I know because I did exactly that with a 284 win and the Win brass many years ago. 284 Win factory brass varied quite a bit in neck thickness. I turned them down till I got a 85-90% cleanup. Back then all I had was a RCBS FL die. I was partially full length sizing. Combining the extra stretch to expand seal the chamber neck area and then sizing them well beyond bullet seating diameter and pulling a sizer ball through the neck work hardened them quickly. They didn't last very long.

IMO neck turning is done in conjunction with a tighter neck dimension in the chamber via a custom reamer. The neck wall thickness is predetermined for a particular bullet release value of .002" or even less. Then it does two things: more consistent bullet release and the brass lasts longer because it isn't being work hardened.

Last edited:
No, it is just one step in preparing brass for long range hunting. Every variable you eliminate will help your ammo to be more consistent at long range. Actually, at any range for that matter. It is no more or less important than weighing brass, truing primer pockets and flash holes, etc. This is one place where you can do more harm than good if you go too far. You are either cleaning up inconsistencies in your necks or fitting them to a chamber, depending on the chamber.

There is a one thing worth mentioning about turning necks. If you are using a SAMMI spec chamber with a pretty large neck diameter you cannot turn much off of the necks or they will split upon firing or soon there after.

I know because I did exactly that with a 284 win and the Win brass many years ago. 284 Win factory brass varied quite a bit in neck thickness. I turned them down till I got a 85-90% cleanup. Back then all I had was a RCBS FL die. I was partially full length sizing. Combining the extra stretch to expand seal the chamber neck area and then sizing them well beyond bullet seating diameter and pulling a sizer ball through the neck work hardened them quickly. They didn't last very long.

IMO neck turning is done in conjunction with a tighter neck dimension in the chamber via a custom reamer. The neck wall thickness is predetermined for a particular bullet release value of .002" or even less. Then it does two things: more consistent bullet release and the brass lasts longer because it isn't being work hardened.
What you're saying is correct. But I would say just anneal it and eliminate the neck splitting if it becomes an issue.

I just started neck turning and I'll never look back. I took my Norma 300WM brass which has never shot a 5 shot group less than about a .6 (a couple 3 shot groups around .4), neck turned the brass, and the very next group I shot measured .225" center to center for 5 shots. I thought I had a scope failure because I couldn't see any new bullet holes. I can't confirm this was entirely due to neck turning, nor will I claim to ever be able to shoot a group that small again, but it definitely made a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.