Neck die and collet die

Halleywood

As I was resizing my STW brass with the Innovative Technologies belted magnum collet die last night I got to wondering why I couldn't just use a neck sizer die instead of the full length die. Then I would use the collet die every other loading or whenever needed.

Any reason this isn't advisable? I'm hoping to work my brass as little as possible since it's so hard to come by and expensive.

I just fl size anyway... When I run low I'll form brass from 375h@h or buy some Bertram stw brass... That said, you may do what you wish as long as it works well for you.
I've seen accuracy issues in my old stw barrel if I tried to partial fl size (or neck size) my brass, and this bbl is about as fickle as the last bbl., so my 1" or less 200 yard groups are well worth a bit of brass life loss...

The Larry Willis die is only designed to size some of the body and right down to the belt.
It could well be enough to allow only additional neck sizing for a while . You may still need to size the whole body and possibly bump the shoulder slightly at some point .
375 H&H is a dangerous game cartridge and potentially sticky cases is not a good idea . Keep the case fit easy chambering and reliable . The head clearance is set by the belt so you can't get into trouble with a slightly short shoulder it just blows forward again .
Minimum working of brass is a good idea in general but you don't want a sudden case jam as a Grizzly is coming at you .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.