Near mfg. rings and bases

joe boyd

One word of warning. Make sure you are positive of what you want when you order, because Canadian law restricts sending any "firearm accessories" into Canada. I learned the hard way that you will have a problem shipping any than that can be construed as a "firearm accessory" into Canada
Near manufacturing makes some of best looking rings and bases I have ever seen but if you order the wrong thing you are probably stuck with it.
Joe

This was my reply to Ian M's review of Near mfg. products.
My wife ordered a one peice base for her weatherby super varmint master in .308. When I mounted it the base was a perfect fit, but it was a 25 minute long range base. I called Richard and explained the problem. He said she never ordered a flat ( 0 minute ) base, I told him that if he had asked how many minutes of elevation she needed that she would not even understand the question. He promptly made her a new base, sent it to us and called me personally and explained to me how to return the first base, all of this after he had already sent me a new one. Not many people will go to this much trouble to satisfy a customer in another country. I just wanted to clarify my earlier post.
joe

I can second the sincere attitude Richard has towords his customers. I called him earlier today to order a base for my Sako 75. We talked for about five minutes and he made sure I was getting exactly what I wanted. To top that off, he is sending me the base and I am to pay him after a get it.This is the same Richard Graves of Wildcat Bullets does his business.

It's nice to be trusted and know that you, the customer, are the #1 priority. But how long before some jackass screws this up for everyone?

I sure hope you are right. I am looking forward to receiving my 10moa base for the SAKO 591 from NEAR. I just hope he hasn't forgotten me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
One word of warning. Make sure you are positive of what you want when you order, because Canadian law restricts sending any "firearm accessories" into Canada. I learned the hard way that you will have a problem shipping any than that can be construed as a "firearm accessory" into Canada
Near manufacturing makes some of best looking rings and bases I have ever seen but if you order the wrong thing you are probably stuck with it.
Joe

This was my reply to Ian M's review of Near mfg. products.
My wife ordered a one peice base for her weatherby super varmint master in .308. When I mounted it the base was a perfect fit, but it was a 25 minute long range base. I called Richard and explained the problem. He said she never ordered a flat ( 0 minute ) base, I told him that if he had asked how many minutes of elevation she needed that she would not even understand the question. He promptly made her a new base, sent it to us and called me personally and explained to me how to return the first base, all of this after he had already sent me a new one. Not many people will go to this much trouble to satisfy a customer in another country. I just wanted to clarify my earlier post.
joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually its not Canadian Law, the issue lies with USA regulations. State, Commerce and BATF groups depending on what it is. For items like this, the cut off point is $100 value.

Brownells also sells Near bases etc. etc.

( quote )
Actually its not Canadian Law, the issue lies with USA regulations. State, Commerce and BATF groups depending on what it is. For items like this, the cut off point is $100 value. ( quote )

Actually it is a Canadian law. Anyone can go online to Sinclair's catalog and learn which firearm parts and/or accessories a cannot be shipped outside of the United States without an export permit.

Items requiring an Export Permit
The US Customs Service is requiring an export permit for all orders that include bullets, brass, or rifle components (actions, triggers, barrels, stocks, etc.) shipping from the United States.
Previously, there was an exemption allowing brass and bullets under 1,000 combined pieces. This exemption is no longer valid, and an export permit is now required.

Anyone can ship scope bases, scope rings, and/or scopes to an address outside of the United States. We just can't send them to Canada without special reasons. As I said in my first post on this, Richard, of Near Mfg. is the person who was kind enough to call me and explain the Canadian law to me. He saved me a lot of trouble and I will buy his products again.If I can get them from him I will probably skip Brownell's or Cabela's because I will dealing with the man who has the answers.
joe

I have bought scopes and rings off of Ebay and have had no problem getting them shipped to Canada. Maybe it depends on how the seller fills out the customs forms? I did not even have to pay duty on them, just taxes and shipping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.