Near Mfg. - Opinions?

I have installed one opf their bases on one rifle and while it was very well made I would not pay that much more for them over a Badger or Nightforce. Glenn Seekins makes his bases out of 7000 series aluminum and they are build as well or better than any other I have seen. The Aluminum bases are stronger than what you will ever need.

Thats one reason I would not use them but the main reason was the way i was treated the few times i called them about making a base for me or weather or not one they made would fit what i had , The first time i called and inquired about using one of their bases on another action and if it would fit , they guy said buy one and try it , but when i asked if i could return it in as new condition if it diden't he laughed and said hell no !! so then I asked about making a one off base for this action ,he said sure they could they would need the action , it would probnably be 9 months to a year for it and would cost between $300 and $500 dollars , W T F

I woulden't buy their stuff if it was half price !!

I use near bases and rings. Very expensive! Worth it! I also love the nightforce. for the money they cant be beat.

Had To Wait to Long

I own 2 of there bases for my XP's. The first one took monthes to get and then wanted the ring's to go with it but my Smith called and was ready to put my gun together so I just went with some Farrell's he had. The second base was supposed to be a new aluminum style that he was working on and again I waited till my Smith called, so I called him and after almost a year of waiting he made it. He is a strange cookie I don't know if he has to much on his plate or what but you have to have better service than that I don't care how good your product is.

I thank you guys for your responses. I understand your likes/dislikes equally. I have several T'SOB scope mounts from SSK Industries. They are the same design in aluminum. They are very tough. I'd like to say I would use nothing else BUT, dealing with J.D. Jones is similar to feeding a tiger. You never know when he'll purr or claw you.

I really would prefer good aluminum stuff. My gun already weighs 8.4 lbs with Talley's. Those bases/rings come in at 5 ounces. I really have no complaints thus far with the Talley's but have always had an affinity for the picattiny style.

Near was the only one who had exactly what I wanted. A heavy blacked stainless 20-25MOA base for a Weatherby Mark-5 action and 34mm rings for a S&B scope. As was said before, they are expensive, but superb quality and precision. Second to none.

The same base that is used on rem 700 long actions will fit the Weatherby MK-V , sorry your wasted your money

The same base that is used on rem 700 long actions will fit the Weatherby MK-V , sorry your wasted your money
Interesting. I called Weatherby on that and they said no, there will be a small difference. Anyway, that is not what I wanted. I wanted a heavy blacked stainless 25MOA base for a Weatherby Mark-5 action and heavy blacked stainless 34mm rings, all from the same mfg.

I have a Near MFG picatinny base on my Sako TRG-S (M995). Near MFG are the only guys I could find who make one. Quality and fit is superb. I agree that the price is high compared to others, but this was my first base, so I can't compare quality, but it would surprise me if there was something better (I couldn't buy another brand anyway).

I called Richard Near several times about the bases and their installation as I'm in South Africa and wanted to be sure that I got it done right as I was getting instructions and passing them on to my gunsmith / machinist. Richard was really helpful and prepared to chat and give up his time. At one point he even offered to swap my (by then) older model base for a new model that attached a little differently if I wanted. We talked a bit about hunting and optics too. My experince was very positive.

Richard struck me as someone who would stand behind his product and he seems rightfully proud of it. But it's pricey, in my opinion.

I'd buy one again as my first choice if I wasn't too sensitive to price differences.

Hope that helps.

I have a set of Richard's rings (30mm) and a Rem700 base.

The cost? $475 Cdn.

Absolutely top notch.

Richard is a nice guy but can (and will) be flippant.

Would I buy his stuff again? I really don't know, as there's a lot of good stuff out there. Badger, Nightforce, Seekins, TPS etc.

I have a set of Richard's rings (30mm) and a Rem700 base.

The cost? $475 Cdn.

Absolutely top notch.

Richard is a nice guy but can (and will) be flippant.

Would I buy his stuff again? I really don't know, as there's a lot of good stuff out there. Badger, Nightforce, Seekins, TPS etc.

BHP9,
You have added a new word to my vocabulary !!!!!!!!!!! and it is absolutely the perfect description.
After my dealings with Richard I tried Ken Farrell on a couple of projects and have been very happy (equal quality or better and MUCH more friendly).
UB

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.